Hitting Right On With The First Shot And Barrel Preparation.

S1,

I watched Jerry shoot his 6/284 for nearly 50 rounds and almost like a switch somone turned on the accuracy went out the door. He cleaned it and someone switched the accuracy back on for about another 50 rounds. He said that typically 20-25 is where he usally cleans it. But hey we were on a hot "dog town"

I noticed that with my 308 running 2630fps at 50 rounds my accuracy is still under .75 MOA. I don't expect the big gun to get me more than 1/4 of that.

You mentioned another intersting piece of data.. got me thinking ( again )
you said the side of the lands that takes the load for the rpms... hmmm I wonder is a new design or angle of the rifleing would cause any prolonged life or acuracy changes on premium barrels??? hmmmmm....
wink.gif

Wyo.... Think... "3 GROOVE"

Frank4570...check The Basics, starting out » CLEAN RIFLE FOR LESS MONEY

Right now I am going thru this one rifle at a time. I hope that there is a general rule that's best but I have finished with the Swift and I am confident that a barrel cleaned but not copper free and then oiled gives me the consistant first shot from this rifle when it's stored for any period of time. Of course the third shot from a rifle fired a few hours ago might be great for that rifle or as a general rule but this M 70 does not do as well when the fouled bore is put away and then fired the next day or week for instance.

As to shooting with a dry bore a smith said to do a test. Strike an oil free piece of steel with a brass or copper rod and note the mark. Then do the same but oil the surface. He says that there will be a much bigger deposit left on the dry steel.

I have nothing exotic to shoot and seldom shoot enough to degrade accuracy. However, I do have 3 rifles than absolutely do not wander from a clean first shot to the last. Others, well a couple of foulers and they're one with the universe. None are highly accurate guns, I can and have put 20+ rounds into 3/4 MOA from the Roberts, cold to hot without stopping. It copper fouled badly when new, met JB Bore Cleaner and now doesn't require great effort to clean.
I would still be reluctant to take a clean barrel hunting and seldom do so, except when still hunting bottom country. It's not a long range proposition.

Most of my hunting rifles need foulers.

Even the ones that do not seem to need,I still foul...it does not make them worse anyway. Just trying to follow the "K.I.S.S" principle here,I also wanted to pop this great thread back up.
grin.gif

I will not go to a match or go hunting with out fouling the bore with 2 shots regardless of which rifle I am shooting a match or hunting with. I am not going to leave something to chance that I can take out of the equation. I trust the third shot out a barrel. Thirty years of past experience has taught me that. S1....you hit the nail on the head with trusting the third shot for predicability. I have shot my 300 WSM and my 260 enough to know that around the 10th to the 13 shot with the both rifles I better take .25 MOA out of the scope or I am going to see one go high that will go into the 9 ring. And it does seem to depend to some degree on temperature as too just when the POI changes.

I have found this topic most interesting. I just picked up my new 260 yesterday evening from the smith. I spent a little while today starting to break the barrel in. Remembering this topic I shot one and cleaned for 10 rounds without a sight adjustment just to see if the rifle would show if it put the first shot from a clean bore in the same POI consistently. The 10 shots measured 1.29" so at least it seems consistent with a clean cold bore. I have no idea where the second shot will go. Tomorrow I will know where the second and third shot go as the break in is showing good progress I will shoot some three shot groups with the break in load. I don't expect great accuracy with the break in load as it is the 85 grain Sierra in an 8 twist barrel. I use the cheapest bullet I can find to do initial break in. That bullet didn't do very well accuracy wise in my other 260, but it loves the 142 MK. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when I move to three shot groups.

I have shot three 3 shot groups with this new 260. The groups were all in the high .7's to high .8's. Then I shot a five shot group that had four of the five shots in the mid .4's. It was the fourth shot that opened it up to the mid .7's. There is one thing I have noticed about this barrel that is different than any other I have, the first shot from a clean cold barrel is consistently 30 to 40 fps faster than what the load averages. Does anyone have a clue why that is? All of my other barrels are consistently that much slower with the first shot from a clean cold barrel. If anyone has a clue about that one let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.