First shot sails.

Laker_Taker

Has this happend to anyone? After clean my barrel using wipeout. My first shot is about 8 inches high and 4 inches to the left at 100 yards. My second shot is right on and my third shot is right on. Does any one know why the shot sails on a clean barrel. I shoot a .270 weatherby win. My load is 54 grains of IMR4350 and 130 grain Scirocco.

Second and third shot usually are around an inch from each other and I am shooting from a gun rest.

Thanks Aaron

I can't give you a real scientific reason, but thats why people shoot foul shots. They shoot 1,2, or however many they think it takes to get the barrel fouled so it shoots normal.

I think that some guns are closer to zero than others with the foul shot, but not sure.

I guess just something to do with getting the solvent/oil out....

well that was a very random post from me, so I hope that helps a little, and I'm sure that someone with a lot more elequent explantion will chime in.

I have been shooting registered BR matches for 18 yrs. In this time I have used many barrels. It still amazes me how different these barrels can be. Some barrels will shoot to POA on a clean barrel and some take a few foulers. I had a 14 twist 30 cal. bbl. that, after a good cleaning, was not even on the paper at 300yds. I would aim in the dirt between targets and fire 2 foulers, then go back to the sighter target and get started. The 30 cal. bbl. that I'm shooting now is POA even after a good cleaning. Both of these barrels shoot great, just not the same.

Two things typically causes that to happen. Sometimes the barrel isn't fouled just right which usually puts the first couple of shots off in any direction. Other times the shooter is fouled (doesn't get the shots off cleanly) to start with and this usually puts those first shots off in the same direction.

A couple of guys on our rifle team years ago had this problem with their rifles shooting in the prone position; the first and sometimes second shot went astray. So we traded rifles. Then they still had the same problem with another rifle but others shot their rifles just fine for the first couple of shots. These guys just didn't settle down enough to shoot well from the get-go. Others did. I was one of the guys who had the problem; my first shot prone usually went 1 or 2 MOA up and left; the second one not as far. But I learned how to fix it.

I just broke in a 112 BVSS in 300WM, and the first shot in a clean bore is about 4"low and 2" left @ 100yds. It settles in around shot 3. I was worried about it, but the gun wants to shoot once it's fouled so I'll just have to deal with it. After I broke it in and in a heavy wind that was switching, I shot the first 5 shot group into less than 1" high but 4.3 inches wide @ 300 yds with Black Hills 190SMK loads.

Aaron,
I cant tell you "why" this happens. But, like MOST of the others here, I just know it does. I will always foul my barrel one or two shots before zeroing it or starting on load development. This is also the reason that just prior to hunting season, I will always check my zero on my hunting rifles, then not clean them until after the season is over. In my mind , at least, this eliminates that "clean barrel flyer". It's always worked for me. I know this doesn't tell you why, but I hope it shows you that it is an expected occurance that can be dealt with effectively. Good luck and good shooting........
Jim

Thanks for your experiences. I was wondering if the barrel was getting worn out. I never cleaned my guns alot until I started reloading three years ago and now that I'm at the range once a week thats when I started to noticed it. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.