Hitting a softball at 1000 yds

So out of pure curiosity for myself, those of you who shoot at game at 800,900... what do you consider to be a good group at those ranges. I would think hunting at those ranges you would want to be able to hit a 7-8" kill zone 10-10 times and that doesn't leave much room for error. Few inches off and your wounding or missing the vitals. So the guys who are talking softballs are not being realistic. What are realistic hunting groups at those ranges?

Milk jugs at 1000 can be humbling. The Tikka 30-06 has done it by the third shot a couple of times.
A buddy had his 300wsm shooting fine a few years ago. The three shot group was the size of a softball but one foot left and 6" low. The coyote that walked into the scene caught a 180 grainer to the heart, the yardage was 1457 yards.

I use to be pretty good softball player and could hit one 300' with the wind behind it! I am in with Tangent on this one. Basketball maybe.🏀
LOL - I could once pop the old softball as well. Did not fly as high/far as a baseball - especially not one hit at altitude in Colorado where I played a little college baseball at the AF Academy - but still could give it a nice go (again - years ago :).

How about substituting a Soccer Ball for the softball - about .5 MOA ?- more like like the size of a human head?

I've talked to several guys in the past who all claim their hunting rifles can consistently hit a softball size target at 1000 yds. I'd love to hear whether this is a factory rifle or custom. If it's a custom, what components these rifles use, what ammo components are used as well
yes My old Savage 110 22-250 Heavy 26" Barrel was all factory other than the 50 power scope and my hand loads 53gr BTHP bullets at 4300 fps had NO problem hitting Golf Ball size targets @1000 yrds constantly.

So out of pure curiosity for myself, those of you who shoot at game at 800,900... what do you consider to be a good group at those ranges. I would think hunting at those ranges you would want to be able to hit a 7-8" kill zone 10-10 times and that doesn't leave much room for error. Few inches off and your wounding or missing the vitals. So the guys who are talking softballs are not being realistic. What are realistic hunting groups at those ranges?
MOA is a good group at 8,9 and a 1000 yards 8" 9" and 10" respectively

In a vacuum maybe. Throw in wind, temp, etc... not so easy ...I have a 1000 yard range on my property and custom rifles with a 10" plate at 1000 and I do good to hit it consistently ... hit the softball 1 out of 100 shots and all of a sudden it's easy and guys are saying. .... "boyyyyy my rifle will hit a softball at a grand no problem"

Last edited:
meh. I mean i'll bet we've all done it one time or another. That doesn't mean we can do it ALL the time every time. I like to shoot biodegradable clay pigeons personally. It's pretty hard to have first round impacts in terrain based shooting on such small targets but it's excellent training. You just have to be honest with yourself. To me 500 is a pretty easy, 750 is difficult but probability is high, 1000 is a crap shoot with a miss on that size of target being very high......in good conditions. One thing to keep in mind, others have said it, people tend to embellish. I have students claim they can hit 1000 no problem. Yep, one box of ammo later and ding.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.