Highest BC .277 bullets available

graywolf

I picked up a Tikka 270 WSM hunting rifle recently and have been playing with mostly monolithic bullets. Its sub moa @ 3300 fps with a 130 gr .540 G1 bullet, which isn't bad for long range hunting.

For those who are interested here is a list of commercially available .277 bullets with G1 values greater than 0.5 listed in descending order, the list is likely to be incomplete, so feel free to add to it or add your experience hunting with em.

Weight gr / type / G1 BC

170 Berger hybrid hunting .662 (1:8 twist required)

150 accubond .625

140 cutting edge MTH .590 (1:9 twist required)

130 cutting edge MTH .540

145 eldx .536

150 vld Hunter .531

140 Berger classic Hunter hpbt .528

150 interlock .525

150 interbond .525

You might want to make sure your stock barrel has a twist rate that can handle bullets of those weights. Most all factory barrels are twisted too slow to handle the super-heavies.

Yeah, my barrel is 1:10, and I'm usually in the mountains but the heavies are a no-go. The 130 Cutting Edge shoots very well. Supposedly the 150 ABLR will work, I haven't tried it yet but plan to. As far as Matrix goes, I thought they stopped producing .277 bullets?

Yeah, my barrel is 1:10, and I'm usually in the mountains but the heavies are a no-go. The 130 Cutting Edge shoots very well. Supposedly the 150 ABLR will work, I haven't tried it yet but plan to. As far as Matrix goes, I thought they stopped producing .277 bullets?
I'd heard that, but also read that Marshal is going to let the new owner produce the 277s. They've been one the most requested bullet from the new owner of matrix. This is just what I've read around the forums.

I shoot the 165 matrix in my CZ550 .270 Win (1:10) and it seems to stabilize just fine. Your mileage may vary. It's been a while since I shot it but I think I was getting 2850 out of it. I would think the WSM with its extra velocity should do 165's in 1:10 easily?

Has anyone tried the 170 EOL in a 10 twist barrel?
Really curious if they will stabilize

You might want to make sure your stock barrel has a twist rate that can handle bullets of those weights. Most all factory barrels are twisted too slow to handle the super-heavies.
Most every 27 cal has a 10" twist. This is one of the cals that bullet makees do not do a good job of marketing bullets that are fully stable. If you get the length and weight of the bullets on that list and plug them into a twist rate calculator you will see that they are marginal. This shows up more in terminal performance but can cause some trouble with flight.

Buyer beware

Steve

Most every 27 cal has a 10" twist. This is one of the cals that bullet makees do not do a good job of marketing bullets that are fully stable. If you get the length and weight of the bullets on that list and plug them into a twist rate calculator you will see that they are marginal. This shows up more in terminal performance but can cause some trouble with flight.

Buyer beware

Steve

I have tried .277 in 175 and 190 grain. It takes something like the 270 allen mag to make a 190 work. The 175's worked nice until matrix quit making them. It just required the velocity achieved of 270AI or 270WSM with long barrels

There is a greater problem than just getting them to fly well. Marginal stability can shoot very accurately but it can lead to poor terminal performance because it will allow the bullet to yaw on impact and not open the bullet properly or tumble on impact.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.