Highest BC Bullet in .308?

THanks for the great info. Where do you buy some of these more exotic bullets? I looked on Midway and cabelas. And you are more or less stuck to Hornady, Sierra, Lapua bullets. I haven't checked Brownells yet.

thanks

Lucas

I am sure this has been asked before but I did several searches and couldn't come up with anything useful.

I am basically looking for a high BC bullet for my .300 Win Mag to reach out to 1000 yards for prairie dogs. I use 200gr GameKings for deer season but don't stretch my shooting past what I can guarantee a hit. I am looking at the High BC bullets to get out to 1000 with as little drift as possible not for terminal ballistics.

Are the matchkings still the best. Oh yeah I am shooting a REm 700 Sendero 1 with a trued action and muzzle brake. No other mods. 1-10 twist I believe.
thanks
Lucas

I think you're approaching this the wrong way. Most any .308 bullet in a boat tail or VLD will offer a high BC. Why not figure out which bullet shoots best out of your rifle and work from there.

Also, if your intent is shooting PD at a grand or more, 200+ grain bullets will get you out there and do the job very nicely, but they'll come at a bigger expense to shoot. Why not find a 150 to 175 gr bullet to work with? Lower grain bullets offers higher velocities, less powder needed, reduced recoil, less elevation trajectories to muck with and will cost a whole lot less than 200+ grain bullets.

Find a bullet that shoots accurately out of your rifle and work from there. Starting with the highest BC bullet you can find is not the best approach in my opinion.

Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.

Last edited:
Starting with the highest BC bullet you can find is not the best approach in my opinion.
Well, if looking for "as little drift as possible" it is. But yes, there are cost, trajectory, etc, tradeoffs.
Check out the Hornady 208 gr A-Max.
BC is around .648 and they shootgun)
Yes, and I've found they're actually a bit under-rated. They're probably the most efficient of any of the big name bullets you'll find.

Jon

What do you mean by "underrated" for the 208g AMAX?? From a BC standpoint or what?? Am thinking about trying them in my 300 WEatherby but I dunno. I"ve about had it with match bullets on game for consistency reasons...I'm currently running the 200g AB at 3060fps from a 24" vanguard and there shooting 1/2" at 100 yards. Dont know if I should even WASTE my time trying the 208g AMAX, but dang it, the BC is whats appealing to me. However, the 300 Weatherby is my back up elk/bear rifle and I know for a fact the 200g AB will perform better at close range then the AMAX, especially if bone is hit and still get the job done out to 800 yards. I prefer shoulder shots anymore thats why I am shying away from match bullets these days. They just aren't giving me consistent results. The only match bullet I"m sticking with for now is the 300g SMK out of the 338 EDGE.

From a BC standpoint or what??
Yes, they're more like .675. Terminal performance-wise, they'll open up much more quickly than a typical heavy SMK but won't penetrate as far. For elk, if you'd take a raking shot you might want to stick with the AB, but for boiler room shots or smaller game they should be ideal. And the BC advantage over the AB is huge way out there.

Actually, I believe the Bergers were (and are) strictly designed for match/competition also. It just so happened that when they tried their bullets on game animals and for hunting purposes, they found out that they worked well for that purpose also. Then Berger started advertising their match bullets as hunting bullets, in addition to match bullets. I don't believe any modifications were made to their purely match/competition bullets prior to advertising them for hunting use. At least that's what I've read - from Berger I believe.

Youare correct, long range hunters were sucessfuly useing the Bergers for years and Berger decided to captilize on a new market for their bullets.
Sierria will never reccomend their bullets for hunting as long as the military is using their bullets in the sniper rifles.

SNIP

Sierria will never reccomend their bullets for hunting as long as the military is using their bullets in the sniper rifles.

Along that line I thought that this was interesting:

Statistics from past wars suggest that this probability figure may be optimistic. In Would War II, the United States and its allies expended 25,000 rounds of ammunition to kill a single enemy soldier. In the Korean War, the ammunition expenditure had increased four-fold to 100,000 rounds per soldier; in the Vietnam War, that figure had doubled to 200,000 rounds of ammunition for the death of a single enemy soldier. The risk to noncombatants is apparent.

In contrast, United States Army and Marine Corps snipers in the Vietnam War expended 1.3 rounds of ammunition for each claimed and verified kill, at an average range of six hundred yards, or almost twice the three hundred meters cited above for combat engagements by the average soldier.

Sniper Use of Open-Tip Ammunition

edge.

Berger's highest BC .308 bullet is the 230 gr match hybrid target G1 BC .743. It will work with a 1 in 10 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.