High End Binoculars

Hey guys thanks for the info, we hunt out of elevated houses in the early AM and late PM so low light is my main priority, I have actually missed being able to shoot a nice buck due to not being able to identify until he was out of range. Scott just for that offer you have got in my good graces, when I get ready to really start looking I will probably take you up on that offer. I have no vortex dealer around here. I have been reading on exit pupil diameter and the 10x50's are sounding better, even the 8.5x42's sound pretty good, longest distance I need is 1000 yards and that is the way max 600 is more realistic. I hunt mostly open country CRP fields. Thanks guys.

That depends. If you are trying to pick an antler out of the trees or bushes at 5 a.m. the swaros would then be worth twice as much and maybe a finger or 2. I have picked stuff up in low light with the swaros that I can never seem to find with my zeiss or leica's. I feel the leica's are super sharp but not as bright as the swaro's. I have looked through the razor's and there sharp but I don't believe they are 95% swaro's or leicas. Just my opinion but when I say swaros are bright I mean they hurt your eyes in the daylight.

You're not supposed to look at the sun... :eek: Just kidding! :D

swarovski

I just sent my 7x42 swar. in because over the last 15 years they dont seem as bright as they used to. I am getting harder to impress also. They said that many small scratches on the lens were the cause and it would cost $160 for new lens. Not bad, but not free? Wonder why?

Hey guys thanks for the info, we hunt out of elevated houses in the early AM and late PM so low light is my main priority, I have actually missed being able to shoot a nice buck due to not being able to identify until he was out of range. Scott just for that offer you have got in my good graces, when I get ready to really start looking I will probably take you up on that offer. I have no vortex dealer around here. I have been reading on exit pupil diameter and the 10x50's are sounding better, even the 8.5x42's sound pretty good, longest distance I need is 1000 yards and that is the way max 600 is more realistic. I hunt mostly open country CRP fields. Thanks guys.

Thank you sir. Anytime I can be of assistance just let me know. After seeing your requirements, I'm convinced you wuill be quite thrilled with the Razor's, and have lots of $$ left over for ammo and other stuff!

Scott

Scott,
Would you like to make that offer to me?
I am not a guide but have several friends who are.
We can put your optics to the test and would give you/web site
a review.
Mike

Mike,

I appreciate that, but I don't want to pay someone else to test the optics. I've put them through their paces and I'm already convinced of their quality and value, which is why I recommend them. If you were interested in the Razor's I would give you a very good deal. If the fact you never looked through a pair is holding up your purchase then the offer stands.

Scott

OOoh:rolleyes: thats sounds like a good deal if ur willin scott id like to take that offer! I gotta talk2 my dad about that:rolleyes: seen as weve been lookin at gettin a pair of binocs 2 share:D

Brother,

I'm a veteran of selling IOR optics on Sniper's Hide. You'll have to sharpen your spear a little more to penetrate this thick hide.

Scott

Before you shell out thousands of dollars for glass take a look through some Alpen Rainiers next to some Liecas or swaros. You might be surprised!

Before you shell out thousands of dollars for glass take a look through some Alpen Rainiers next to some Liecas or swaros. You might be surprised!

For people where money is no issue, they can buy the most expensive binoculars out there and whether they're infinitesimally better or not, it's no financial burden. For the rest of the majority of us, there's only so much disposable income to go around and being thrifty is mandatory. So I agree with the logic of paying somewhat less and yet still getting a quality item. Scott's philosophy is right at home with me. European manufactured optics are very expensive now that the value of the US dollar has collapsed. It's not worth paying an extra 40% for me to get an additional 3% performance. There is a point of diminishing returns and I realize it when I see it.

If Scott says the Razors are high quality glass I would bet my money on his opinion. I've followed his writings for the past several years and he's spent a lot of time comparing optics from the different manufacturers in the effort to bring the best bang for the buck to his customers. I have no doubt the Razors would be top notch - not some cheesy Coke bottle bottoms.

But if money's no issue, spend the extra $900.00 and maybe you'll get an extra % or two of light transmission and higher resolution. How many times would that extra % have made or broke one of my hunts over the past 35 years? Never.

I've got some Swarovski SLCs and compacts. And a Zeiss spotting scope. They're easy on the eyes and fun to view things through. I bought them before the value of the US dollar tanked. I don't have the latest greatest Swarovski's binos or any Schmidt & Bender or USO rifle scopes, but I'm completely content with my IORs scopes visually, and they cost 50% less. Scott brought the 3-18x IOR scopes to my attention several years ago. I researched them and eventually purchased them at a good price from Liberty Optics.

Last edited:
I think in this case Swaro's are not needed.
I would love to look threw some and maybe
buy some for my 2 teenage daughters to use
since I will not let them borrow my Swaros
and keep them in the truck for those times
when you want to look at something but not
packing the high end stuff with me.
The thread was about high end and so my posts.
Are they worth twice the money?
I think so but sure would like to be able to sell off
my swaros and buy something new for half the price
and be able to put those funds into a new project.
Just don't think that will ever happen.
Mike

And I somewhat hijacked the thread, as it was/is about high end binos. But the Vortex Razors are high end in my book in optical performance and I saw an opportunity to offer an alternative that I thought would satisfy the customer without breaking the bank. As a sponsoring vendor, I see this as one role, but if you guys disapprove, I adapt.

I'm still learning, a qualified beginner, but I do care about you guys and I'm quite dedicated to finding the best bang for the buck, but not in a cheap way...

phorwath, thanks for the kind words...

Scott

Scott,
I jumped on this a little more because of your first post.
Sorry but yes, I felt as you were pushing your product.
Best of luck to you and I hope your product lives up to what you say.
I live in hicksville and can not just run down to the the store for a looksie.
Mike

Leica's

Buy the Leica's and you'll never need another set of bino's the rest of your life. As far as warranty, they'll never need to be sent back. Pretty strong product. I have been told by an individual who sells nothing but high end bino's Swaroski's have been known to go out of culmination 3-5%, Leica's less than 1%.

I have or have had all of the top glass.

but the 10X50slc and 8.5x42 EL Swaros are hard to beat.

My 2cents.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts