Hey wildcatters

The .284 will be my next rifle I build. I plan to get a reamer made with a longer throat and run the 162 and 180gr Hornady ELDs. It equals or exceeds the .280 Remington and won't have OAL issues in a long action with the long and heavy bullets.

.280 or .280 AI, even the .280 Sherman should not have any OAL issues in a standard 3.65" Remington 700 LA mag box. I can even load my .300WM to seat .015" off the lands wither Berger 210 VLD's, and, while it is VERY close to the end, it has just enough room to run as a repeater.

.280 or .280 AI, even the .280 Sherman should not have any OAL issues in a standard 3.65" Remington 700 LA mag box. I can even load my .300WM to seat .015" off the lands wither Berger 210 VLD's, and, while it is VERY close to the end, it has just enough room to run as a repeater.

I think the 180s seated close to the lands with a long throat, so the boattail/bearing surface junction sits at the base of the neck, would be very close to not fitting. I like the .284 and the case design, the great brass, and the accuracy of it can't be denied with its dominance in F-Class.

The .284 will be my next rifle I build. I plan to get a reamer made with a longer throat and run the 162 and 180gr Hornady ELDs. It equals or exceeds the .280 Remington and won't have OAL issues in a long action with the long and heavy bullets.

You have me thumbing through me old bibles now, im thinking you might be quoting the capacities of the 284 shehane, as the books i have put the 284 at 66 grains of water and the 280 rem at over 68. Or did i misinterperate what you were saying? I havent much info on the eld-x's , l would like to try them in my 280 I just seem to have great luck with sierra .

You have me thumbing through me old bibles now, im thinking you might be quoting the capacities of the 284 shehane, as the books i have put the 284 at 66 grains of water and the 280 rem at over 68. Or did i misinterperate what you were saying? I havent much info on the eld-x's , l would like to try them in my 280 I just seem to have great luck with sierra .

The .284 has about the same or slightly less than the .280, but it's a more efficient case design. Same way the 6mm Creedmoor equals or exceeds the .243 and the 6.5 Creedmoor does the same compared to the .260 Remington. I much prefer the ELD Match bullets over the ELD-X. One is listed as a match slug and the other for hunting but performance on game is nearly identical or even a little better with the match bullets. The ELD-X also does not seem to be as consistent or easy to work with as the Match counterpart, you're findings may be different than my though.

It's not about win or loose to me, it seems like it is to you. Please don't include me if you want to create a win or loose situation.

You told me I was wrong when I wasn't wrong. It's not about win or loose, it is about you telling me I was wrong.

When I proved that I was not wrong, you redefine the entire argument form so that you can be holier than though.

I got nothing against you but the forum would be better off if you would stop calling people wrong and using terminology like "You win... and you loose".

Life and interaction on this forum is not a competition for me. If it is for you, I'm sorry. Don't pick on people who have the life experience, hard earned knowledge and documentation to make you unhappy.
It's a shame that in your eagerness to "win", you missed something very important.

Someone can buy an improved cartridge rifle, shoot factory ammo in it for 50 years, and never need a single tool, or any loading knowledge to use it.
With a wildcat, you need tools and knowledge to fire the first round.

With "your definition", you have nothing in your shooting lexicon to differentiate the two.

You win...
... and you loose.

Improved cartridges like the 243 AI have never been considered "Wildcats".

To be a wildcat, the case must be formed and changed before the first chambering, even if a final "fireforming" is the last step in the process. For example, the "30 Gibbs".

A wildcat cannot be made by shoving a factory round into the gun and firing it.

I did design a wildcat in my "ute" the "222 Long Neck". :) With very limited success.

It really doesn't matter what anyone Thinks determines a wildcat as long as they use ammo designed for that Chamber.

To get technical. any cartridge that does not have the correct description on the case head should be considered a wildcat.

If it cannot/does not fit the chamber of the parent case after firing it in the modified chamber, It is a wildcat. (Sometimes called simply an Improved).

Only wildcats that are designed, factory loaded and listed as something different by SAMMI are standardized.

Currently SAMMI only has one altered design listed and standardized (The 280 AI) It was a very popular wildcat for many years and Nosler presented there cartridge design to SAMMI for approval
And they (SAMMI) excepted it as a stand alone cartridge.

So if you modified a SAMMI chamber, even though you could fire the parent case it, if it will not chamber or be safely fired in the Parent case it should be considered a wildcat or improved cartridge and "MUST" be identified on the barrel ID by the gunsmith or factory that It is not a standard chambering/cartridge.

Also if any changes made that could cause problems are made if the parent cases are fired without these changes, the changes should be identified on the barrel ID. such as Freebore, neck diameter (Tight neck), COAL, ETC.

Semantics Aside, call a cartridge what it is, not what the parent case says it is and keep someone out of trouble.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Old school 280,
I can't comment on your questions, as that case is HUGE, compared to my wildcats.

I can't wait to read the responses posted now etc.

I have been a avid wildcatter since the late 70's,
and deal mainly in the 17, 20 and 22 arenas,
I have 5 different case designed per caliber.

Here is the info on one of my favorite wildcats,
and my go to truck/ATV rifle when prowling around the sage brush etc.

I call it the 17 XST Weasel, it is based off a Hornet case,
which has been shortened down to a total overall case length of .600",
with a 30* shoulder angle, .200" long neck, case capacity of 3.81 grs.

Using 15/17 gr bullets from a 18", and a load of 1.5 to 3.0grs of powder,
which will launch bullets at 2950+ fps, with a load/case efficiency of of 36%+,
using the correct powders etc, and all loads will stay inside 1" @ 100 yds, if I do my part.

I designed this case as MY re loadable Rimfire case, as for the last several yrs,
obtaining 22 LR ammo is next to impossible around here, without paying Black Market prices
around here etc.

I find Wildcatting very enjoyable and rewarding and serves a useful purpose.

Tia,
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts