Here's a review of my crappy Remington

Skinny Shooter

Here\'s a review of my crappy Remington

Ok, I picked up a factory stick VSF in 308win earlier in the year and was unaware of how crappy these Remingtons really are.
Decided to try a modified break-in procedure and so far have shot 84 rounds. 60 of those have been with the Wildcat 169.5gr ULD RBBT HP. They're shooting nice. Real nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Accuracy loads are 45grs of VARGET with a WLR primer and 44.5grs of VARGET with a 210M primer. The bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet. Both loads run about 2700fps. Also tried 175gr SMK's over 44grs of VARGET and 210M primers early in the break-in process. They shot well but not quite 1/2 moa. I'll try them again later. I had some 3 shot 2 hole groups and then got nervous on the 4th and 5th shots and ruined my groups so I know the gun can shoot better than me. Fouling has dropped off considerably since the beginning.
The new palm swell and stock overall are a great upgrade over the standard VS stock on my 22-250.
Remington's new stock color is great and has some cool factor. The bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet. Utilitarian-wise, it'll blend well into the farmlands where I hunt for predators, etc.
The front sling and bipod stud are a wee bit close together. The sling fits into the rear stud but you have to almost remove the bipod to get the swivel off.
The barrel fluting is sharp looking but am unsure just how useful it really is. You can slip a dollar bill all the way down the barrel. On my VLS it got stuck partway down. The throat is cut short and I load from the magazine so that may or may not be a hindrance. Probably not.
A front-focal plane 4.5-14LR Leupold w/tactical milling reticle would go nice on it but I'll have to settle for the "older" model for now.
For a factory gun this is worth the money I spent on it. Where was this rifle a few years ago when I was buying my VS... When I re-barrel the VS 22-250, I may look for a similiar stock to mount it in.
Here's a photo that I got a little carried away with in photoshop.
Btw, to get this shot I had to remove the sling, photo the rifle perched on a chair, then photo the sling by itself. After that you extract the rifle and sling seperately from their backgrounds in Pshop. Then add the sling back onto the rifle. Walla
And after all that the bolt handle still hasn't fallen off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

VSF2.jpg

Re: Here\'s a review of my crappy Remington

Nice stick, Skinny.
I really like that stock!! Badger rings and rail too??

Thanks for sharing..sakofan...

You're right! It seems pretty crappy, I'll take it off your hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I like the stock color and the rail. It does look a little short between swivel posts but I guess you will deal with it.

im not much for synthetic stocks, but the combo looks pretty sharp...pretty sharp indeed

Yo Skinny,

There ain't no good reason for such poor groups, ya know those number 4 & 5 shots. That's what PS CS is for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you wouldn't have mentioned the sling thing, no one would have even suspected. And the <Enter> key didn't fall off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Skinny
Does "crappy" have some kind of different meaning in the US then it does here in the UK ie, [censored], [censored] and [censored], cos thats a mean looking set up you have there, or are you pulling my leg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

PS. Are the flutes radiused or flat bottomed?

Sakofan, thats all Badger. Good kit. Btw, that stock looks much better in person. Check this out. Left-hand VSF Link It may not be too late to trade up that VS ya got. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cowboy, thanks for the sympathy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Abinok. Some of the synthetics out there are too "plastic" for my taste and appreciate a good piece of wood or laminate any day. This is the former Mr Mojo:

DSC_0015.jpg

Roy, it was windy that day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Not sure which bipod Remington used cause it wasn't a Harris. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't have CS yet, still stuck with Vs. 7 till we get some remodeling out of the way in the studio. Great ideer though. LOL

CentrePunch, after reading that you wrote [censored], [censored] and [censored], I think we're on the same wave-length. LOL
But to make it clear, it could also mean the ooze deposited from the south end of a north bound goose, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Or it could mean...
The post title is really in jest cause there are some folks who feel that Remington has gone down the drain. That may be true but fortunately I haven't seen those problems yet. It's not custom but it shoots well enough for my budget.
The flutes are radiused and step down from back to front.

Forgot to add in my first post. Like my VS, the rear sling swivel stud (on buttstock, not forend) came loose too easily when the sling got twisted. A few drops of loc-tite takes care of that issue.

For all the Remington haters out there, I leave this bit of humor:
fc57025e.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a great day.

nice crappy remmy! i am waiting for kirby to do mine when he returns from his colorado hunt.i am looking for good bases and ringe for when it arrives.does badger have a web address? or where in pa did you get them?

bucknutz, I want to give some ideas to Kirby so he can work up a price for me too. Maybe a 22-250AI or 243AI.
Here's the link for http://www.badgerordnance.com/
I purchased them thru Midway. Here's a Link
Badger may a bit overkill for a factory gun but they do work. Hey, are you on the West side of H-burg?

Nice Rig skinny!! Keep an eye on that bolt handle cause I'm sure that *** is just waiting to fall off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I knew there had to be some crappy Remingtons out there somewhere cause all mine shoot great!!!

hey skinny.. i got the same one you do... my bolt handle hasnt fallen off yet either!!! and mine is shooting great too...!!! before i shot it i skim bedded the stock.. bedded a ken farrel 20moa base to it and had the barrel lapped by my "smith" ... i have had it for almost 3 weeks and i believe i just put round #"s 225 through 250 through it tonight.. 175bergers over varget very good... 175smk's over varget very good.. 168 nosler cc's over varget very good.. 178Amas over RL15 very good.. i even broke it in with 210 bergers over varget and contrary to some people's belief very good.. i dont believe i have been upset with anything i have put down the barel of it so far!!! took it to roanoke VA egg shoot last weekend and won the factory class with it.... i'm tickled pink with it... i almost think i would like to have another one for when i wear this one out!!! lol .. Brien
p.s. i have one just like it in .223... 53gr smk over varget very good!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.