A Montana .338 lapua review......

traks44

Well its been about a year in the making and since the year is about over and shooting comes to a close for us here in Eastern Oregon I thought I would write a quick review.

After much debate we settled on a .338 barreled action from Montana. A 30 inch # 8 contour matt finish barrel along with their magnum action was ordered. Fast forward to the building stages. We were also buidling a 6.5x284 so we let McMillian bed and float the stock(A-5 of course). Many debates on here had me a little skeptical while the gun was being built about Montana's quality or accuracy? When the gun arrived we had a month until elk season. We had very little time to get it all set-up and shooting let alone getting the 6.5 up and shooting at the same time. Fast forward again to shooting stages, my father and I had built a 1000 yard range with 100 yard intervals. We did most of our developing here. We found the best load and accurate at 94 grains of H-1000 behind a 250 SMK bullet. Pushing the bullet at 3000 fps we were gettng very getting great results all the way out to 100 yards. The first time I shot the lapua at 1000 yards it was a crapshoot, I thought I had some good data, but this was all knew to me. Long story short the lapua groups great. Out of the few times at 1000 yards the groups

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.