heqvy recoil lug

jon12

I have heard alot of people mention a heavy recoil lug pinned in place. What exactly does this do for your rifle. Is this a worth while upgrade when building a rem 700 to shoot accurately on a tight budget? Will appreciate any info on the topic. Thanks.

The heavier recoil lug is stiffer. Being pinned allows the barrel to be switched out without having to have a lug alignment tool. Pinned recoil lugs come in very handy with switch barrel setups (one action with 2,3,4,or 5 or so barrels).

But for a rifle that has a single barrel is there an advantage to the heavy lug for accuracy, is it a worthwhile upgrade for building a LR rifle on a model 700 action(in a standard caliber, not a really hard kicking magnum)?

Jon12- I went the route of the standard recoil lug and it is better to go with the heavier lug!!!

Kidcolt- My Hart brakes didn't seem to reduce recoil as well as my KDF brakes. What I did to change this was to run a mill into the brake just even with the furthest edge of the first set of holes. This improved the performance of this brake drastically.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.