heqvy recoil lug

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by jon12, Feb 5, 2004.

1. jon12

jon12 Well-Known Member

I have heard alot of people mention a heavy recoil lug pinned in place. What exactly does this do for your rifle. Is this a worth while upgrade when building a rem 700 to shoot accurately on a tight budget? Will appreciate any info on the topic. Thanks.

2. steve smith

steve smith Well-Known Member

The heavier recoil lug is stiffer. Being pinned allows the barrel to be switched out without having to have a lug alignment tool. Pinned recoil lugs come in very handy with switch barrel setups (one action with 2,3,4,or 5 or so barrels).

3. jon12

jon12 Well-Known Member

But for a rifle that has a single barrel is there an advantage to the heavy lug for accuracy, is it a worthwhile upgrade for building a LR rifle on a model 700 action(in a standard caliber, not a really hard kicking magnum)?

4. kidcoltoutlaw

kidcoltoutlaw Well-Known Member

BOB HART SAYS NO.i ask him when i had them do my sendero in 338 rum it is now a switch barrel gun,thanks,keith

5. kidcoltoutlaw

kidcoltoutlaw Well-Known Member

i forgot to say mine does have a hart break as well,thanks,keith

6. H-BAR

H-BAR Well-Known Member

Jon12- I went the route of the standard recoil lug and it is better to go with the heavier lug!!!

Kidcolt- My Hart brakes didn't seem to reduce recoil as well as my KDF brakes. What I did to change this was to run a mill into the brake just even with the furthest edge of the first set of holes. This improved the performance of this brake drastically.