Holland Recoil Lug

dwm

I had a Holland recoil lug installed on a REM 700 action and now the action will not fit in the factory HS Precision Sendero stock or a HS Precision PST26.

Is it common to have to releive the inside of a HS Precision stock in the recoil lug area so that replacement recoil lugs will fit? (I'd rather not cut into the aluminum bedding block ...)

I'm having a hard time believing the Holland recoil lug will not fit in factory Remington HS Precision stocks.

Doug

The Holland recoil lug is slightly thicker (.250" or something like that) and it is tapered.

When putting it back in the stock, you will have to remove a little material forward towards the barrel channel. The aluminum is a bit of work to remove but you should be able to handle it ok with a Dremmel tool or something similiar.

good luck.

GG was correct but as an added note no material should be removed on the left or right sides of lug nor on the back side "just" a tad off the front.

Ben

A little correction- he might have to remove a little from the sides. You do not want the stock applying pressure to one side or the other. This applys a small amount of stress to the joint and will cause flyers and other problems.

I would agree with Chris but I also recommend skim bedding the H-S stocks as well. This is the recoil lug I use for 75% of my custom rifles, Bad Ord the other 25%. Dispite HS saying their stocks do not need bedding to shoot well that may well be,

BUT, every one I have tested shot better after bedding.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for all the advice. I have cleaned up the stock ahead of the recoil lug enough to compensate for the additional thickness of the lug. This isn't going to do it.

Is it safe to grind on the lug while it is installed on the action? Am I going to need to take this back to the smith and have him remove the lug so that it may be ground to fit?

I think in course measurements it's 0.06 too wide on each side ...

0.12 or so wider than factory.

Doug

I have a 300 RUM with a Holland lug in a PSS stock and had to grind a small amount of the aluminum away for the sides of the lug to fit along with opening up the front of the lug recess. I don't feel I weakened the stock any and it shoots .5 moa consistently.
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO

Like Kirby said - I would send it to a smith- me , him or whoever you use- have him modify the stock properly for the lug to fit and then bed it. Do not grind on the lug- that's poor craftsmanship and not the proper way to do things.

Thanks again, I wasn't going to grind on the lug. I have worked with the dremel tool some on it and got far enough to know the Sendero taper 28" Pacnor Super Match won't fit in the factory Sendero stock either. Taper does not match barrel channel.

So bottom line is this recoil lug is not a drop in for factory Remington HS stocks. It should say that in the add and on the package. I really wanted to put this barreled action in the HS PST26, but now that I know what it takes I have changed my mind.

Will a Holland recoil lug fit in McMillan stocks without modifying the stock?

Are there other heavy duty recoil lugs that fit in HS Precision stocks without having to modify the stock? I have several factory HS Sendero stocks and don't want to go through this again if I rebarrel ...

I am considering ordering a Holland laminated stock just so I don't have to bother with grinding out my HS Precisions to get this recoil lug in there.

Doug

No there is not a "drop in" lug.....they have to be installed by a gunsmith and the lug company then assumes that the smith knows how to modify the stock for the lug.
IF the McMillan is inletted for a Holland lug then it will fit, but if it is inletted for a factory lug, then no, same problem as a HS. But the McMillan is a little easier to modify without the aluminum.

Again, I agree with Chris, send if off, get the recoil lug recess opened up correctly(with a milling machine...), have the barrel channel opened up to accept the new barrel contour with proper clearance and have her professionally bedded.

I assure you it will be worth the money if you have it done correctly.

This is in no way a shot at you or anyone else trying to so some work at home with their rifles but in this case, to open the stock up enough to accept the Holland lug will require bedded to strengthen the stock to where it needs to be for accuracy.

Plus opening up a barrel channel can be frustrating if its the first one you have ever done. Bedding and the recoil lugs relationship to the stock is very critical to extreme consistancy. If you are not 100% confident that you know how to do it right I would recommend sending it to someone that specializes in this work.

It will be money well spent in the long run.

The Holland Signature Laminates stock, either the heavy varminter or sporter is a great choice and maybe the best laminate stock available today.

It IS inletted for the Holland recoil lug but it is also inletted to use the Holland Pillar bedding system and is ment to be pillar bedded and then glass bedded after the pillars are fitted properly.

Again great choice but unless your exprienced in pillar bedding and glass bedding, send her off for the best results possible.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.