Henry Big Boy 44 magnum

Iron Worker

I just bought a Henry Big Boy 20" 44 magnum. I shot it for the first time with some book max 180 gr XTP, I'm 66, and that beautiful rifle kicks. Besides loading lighter loads, does anyone have any recommendations on a better recoil pad than the factory pad?

44 mag with 180 xtp kicks? I used to use that load for deer out my super Blackhawk. Maybe wanna try 44special loads. I have an oil man's tribute that I shot some 270 Speer gdfp out of and didn't notice any recoil, they were good and stout for my S&W mag hunter.
Try limbsaver if you have a bench sander and take it easy or have local smith fit one.

Kick Killer Recoil Pad, Slip-on Butt Pad consists of the world famous, thick AKTON shock absorbing pad, which reduces recoil by 60% in most cases. Leather adds to classy look and it is designed to slip over the butt stock and is held in place with an overlapping hook and velcro fastener. They have small medium and large sizes for $49.95 at Lion Country Supply. These work awesome, have a few myself, can move from one rig to another in few seconds. They don't devalue a firearm like modifications sometimes do. Not some butt ugly thing like those black rubber deals. Looks Old West Cool. It's kinda like what you'd expect, Doc Holiday might have on a cut-down double barrel 10 Gauge shotgun, for a come- to-Jesus, meeting at the OK Corral.

Last edited:
I have a 16" Rossi 65 stainless with stainless butt plate and I have shot 240g Gold Dots since new, don't notice the recoil in a T-Shirt.
One piece of advice, shoulder the rifle on bone, not soft tissue, it will change the felt recoil for the best.

Cheers.

Kick Killer Recoil Pad, Slip-on Butt Pad consists of the world famous, thick AKTON shock absorbing pad, which reduces recoil by 60% in most cases. Leather adds to classy look and it is designed to slip over the butt stock and is held in place with an overlapping hook and velcro fastener. They have small medium and large sizes for $49.95 at Lion Country Supply. These work awesome, have a few myself, can move from one rig to another in few seconds. They don't devalue a firearm like modifications sometimes do. Not some butt ugly thing like those black rubber deals. Looks Old West Cool. It's kinda like what you'd expect, Doc Holiday might have on a cut-down double barrel 10 Gauge shotgun, for a come- to-Jesus, meeting at the OK Corral.
The dimensions of the butt on my rifle are 5.0 length X 1.5 width . They have a small that is 5.02"x150" and a Medium that is 5.20x1.65 . Which one should I get?

I just bought a Henry Big Boy 20" 44 magnum. I shot it for the first time with some book max 180 gr XTP, I'm 66, and that beautiful rifle kicks. Besides loading lighter loads, does anyone have any recommendations on a better recoil pad than the factory pad?
There are a lot of options out there. I've shot and hunted with .44 Mags for the best part of 55 years, both in rifle and pistol, as a cartridge goes it is in my top three over my lifetime. So, a suggestion... you might look into the Beartooth for a slip-on butt shock pad, and on the range off the bench perhaps add a PAST super mag plus shield shoulder pad, both are easy to use and work quite well at reasonable price points for solving the problem.
Good luck... Cheers

The dimensions of the butt on my rifle are 5.0 length X 1.5 width . They have a small that is 5.02"x150" and a Medium that is 5.20x1.65 . Which one should I get?
Would get the Medium, cause if they're just a bit small they aren't quite right but, a little on the big size and they cinch right up!

Last edited:
Judging by the verbage in the OP, it sounds like the OP reloads. If this is true, try IMR 4227 and a 240gr or 300gr XTP. You will lose a few feet per second but it won't hurt like H110 or similar burn rate powders. I am firing full power loads from my Henry Big Boy X chambered for 44mag. Both my Henry 44mag and my Rossi 44mag are light in physical weight and I still get acceptable recoil with the IMR4227.

My Henry has a 20" bbl, what powders would be ideal for reduced loads? I have HS-6, CFE pistol, Alliant 2400, IMR 4227, Hodgdon Long Shot, and Blue Dot I have 200 and 270 jacketed bullets.

Check out your cowboy action shooter loads, there all about reduced recoil to stay on target and get a quick follow up, or as cold finger mentioned stay with the 44specials, that way your not gobbing up your stock with a rubber slip on on a nice piece of wood, I use some shotgun powders for trap loads in mine to plink with

I have the Big Boy X 44mag that comes with a threaded barrel for a suppressor or some type of muzzle device.

I reccomend that the OP does not try to reduce any H110 loads found anywhere. I believe H110 has a chance of detonation and should not be reduced below book minimum safe loads. I did a lot of looking around to find a sub-sonic 44mag load that worked best for me and decided not to tempt fate and changed my mind.. OP, I'm sure you won't take any internet load data on faith. Be careful out there.

After looking around for a sub load for my Big Boy X, I decided to use 44Spl brass (Starline, LPP) and load them to full pressure loads using CFE223 and a copper plated 240gn lead slug. I'm not sure I would load an XTP or other expandable copper jacket due to the possibility of the slug shedding it's copper jacket in the barrel somewhere. Regular old school cast bullets would be a good choice too.

I will say that shooting sub-sonic ammo through a Sico 46M is silly quiet UNTIL it hits whatever you are shooting at, Montana gophers just seem to fold in half and disappear when hit with a 240gn slug travelling right around 900fps.

I had my right shoulder joint replaced in the middle of March this year and after 5 months of taking it easy on my titanium shoulder joint, I am back to being able to fire full power loads in all of my lever action rifles.

OP, get rid of your H110 and change to IMR4227, the differance in felt recoil will make it well worth the loss of a few feet per second.