Helpful suggestions on shooting please

In my opinion, a muzzle brake is a good option. BUT if it's not a good option for you, this is exactly what a person could do (I know because I have done exactly this but not for a 30-06):

1 - Get a Limbsaver Precision Pad for the rifle.
AirTech Precision-fit Recoil Pad | LimbSaver

2 - Get a Limbsaver Slip On Pad for the rifle.
AirTech Slip-On Recoil Pad | LimbSaver

(Use both. That's 2 inches of squishy wonderfulness).

3 - Get a Mercury tube recoil reducer.
Graco BreaKO Mercury Recoil Reducer Standard 7/8 x 4 14oz

I believe this fella would be best off practicing using the actual firearm he will be hunting with. So practice with:

4 - Snap Caps
Amazon.com : A-Zoom 30-06 Sprg Precision Snap Caps (2 Pack) : Gun Ammunition And Magazine Pouches : Sports & Outdoors

5 - Managed Recoil Ammunition
Remington Managed-Recoil Ammo 30-06 Springfield 125 Grain Core-Lokt

Then if you feel it is the noise that makes him flinch, just double up on the ear protection during practice sessions. I have done all of the listed above to help.

And if you are not sure how much recoil a good muzzle brake will help with, my 65 pound son shoots my braked 30-06 with no issue. He is a very skinny boy.

Bakercity,

Do you reload? can you reload 30-06?

If you can reload, get a pound of H4895, go to the Hogdons reloading website and see what the recipe is for reduced loads.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

This is one of the ways I have taught sensitive shooters to drive a rifle right.

The recoil is so lite but there, the shooter enjoys shooting them.

When the flinching stops, powder weight goes up a little at a time.

I would say your shooter is scared of the rifle causing him to fall apart on trigger squeeze, rounds with much less recoil and muzzle blast will make the shooter much more comfortable behind the rifle.

My thoughts and suggestions exactly, My 22lr is the same length and weight of a light hunting rifle. Practice makes perfect and their is no reason to get beat up with recoil on practicing with a heavy kicking caliber if it is not needed. Same concept of why I won't allow my wife to practice much with a 12 ga slug beyond a few shots. Bad habits are easy to acquire and hard to get rid of!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.