Help!

Lube i use is RCBS 2 and a nylon brush. Some use a dry lube.

A Q-tip can leave unbalanced amounts (glob) of lube in the necks, using Lee lube. A boatail bullet will trap lube, more on one size, causing runout.

I never lube ine inside of the neck. I choose to use Forster hjgh pressure lube on my fingers and put a bit of it on the buttom of the bullet, works great for me.

I am loading some ADG brass this weekend for my 300PRC and this happened. The load is 84.0 grain of N570 with a 245 grain Berger EOL and it is a compressed load. The load shows no signs of pressure on the case after firing and no heavy bolt lift. These are all brand new cases, first loading. any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using Hornady Custom Dies. COAL is 3.70View attachment 201005
Insert case into shell holder, run case up , screw the die down until IT Contacts your case NECK, back the die off an 1/8 , This is extremely common mistake.

I had a problem like this when I was loading some 223 with a 75 grain match bullet. I bought a Lyman m die put a flare on it problem solved. Pulled down brass always has a burr inside the neck from the crimp that the military puts on the case mouth. I hate chamfering brass I found when you flare the brass it also takes out the burrs win win. I would watch that hornandy video first make sure the die is correctly adjusted. If it is get a neck expander tool and that should fix it. Lee has a universal expander tool that works and you don't have buy specific dies like you do with the lyman sets.

I always resize brand new brass of any kind...you'd think you could just open the box and get going but I've just seen too much "weirdness". While it should be good to go, I resize, measure OAL and then trim and prep as necessary. I even had one brand new box of Nosler custom in .260 Rem and new one of Lapua in 7mm-08 that had about six cases that needed trimming after resizing. I also had an entire box .375 H&H Nos Custom that was too loose to seat the bullet so had to resize the whole box. Looks like your necks are too narrow, or powder charge is not allowing bullet to seat into the case and seater die is then compressing your brass (I actually had that happen before). Try seating a bullet into a resized empty case...if it seats properly, you may need to change your powder and charge. If it doesn't, inspect your expander ball in te resizer die and seat plunger and crimp setting in your seater die. You may need to back everything all the way out in the seater and just carefully reset your seating die. FYI, I use an RCBS multi station brass prep tool and can completely prep a new batch of 50, all five stations in about 20 minutes.--I wish I'd have had that thing 40 yrs ago (of course they only started making 'em about 5 yrs ago:)). It has a station for a neck brush and I just spray a shot of Rem dry lube about every 10 cases and that takes care of neck lubing without anything that could interfere with the properties of your powder. As an aside, I have one station left and I'm tinkering with fabricating the neck concentric turner from my Sinclair tool...man that will be the ultimate brass prep machine then...but I digress. Good luck.

when this happened were perhapse seating the projos? If so, your case mouths need to be chamfered/deburred before you seat the bullets. I have found this particular anomaly happens with new and once fired brass, A LOT. I have a really slick deburring device I just run twice around the inner case mouth and nothing ever digs into the copper jacket again.

Hornady has multiple seater stems for those extra long 245gr bullets, e.g. ELD and A-tip.
My 300PRC die set came with 2 seater stems, but I ordered the separate extra long one for the 230gr A-tip's. Either Midway or Brownell carry the seater stems.

Those 300PRC are tall in the press, so back that seater die out some like previous posters suggested.

They were not sized, brand new. I never run new brass through the die unless the mouths are visibly our of round. I have never had this issue before but if your suggestion is to run every piece through the die I will.
I have had new cases from a number of brass makers that were too long, so I check all cases for length and trim them after fl resizing.

I am loading some ADG brass this weekend for my 300PRC and this happened. The load is 84.0 grain of N570 with a 245 grain Berger EOL and it is a compressed load. The load shows no signs of pressure on the case after firing and no heavy bolt lift. These are all brand new cases, first loading. any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using Hornady Custom Dies. COAL is 3.70View attachment 201005
Looks exactly like what I did to 10 ADG 6.5 PRC Cases when I forgot to readjust dies to new press.

I have had this happen too. Hornady one shot will not affect your primers. Put all the cases in a tray and spray so the angle is right and get some inside the necks. Wait a minute for it to dry and then load. Might not do any favors for your SD,s but al least it will save your brass. Load some plain bullets. Say some 150 sierra,s with a powder that will get you up to pressure. Once shot and then sized again your shoulders should be tough enough this problem should go away.
Make sure you shake the One Shot well

You have the die too low and you are hitting the crimping seat! No doubt about it

For those of you who choose to crimp [and some do] do you do it as a separate step or simultaneously with seating like you'd do with roll/taper crimping handgun ammo? Having never crimped rifle ammo is it possible that you can put too much crimp on which results in collapsed necks? I can envision a properly made seating die having the crimping ring at the SAMMI optimum length distance [2.294 for an .06 case] when the die bottom contacts the shellholder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.