Help with verifying a member before a purchase

caution with serial numbers-- there were "leupold" scopes being sold on ebay a few years back -- they all had the exact same serial number on all of them and were Chinese impostors, yet the serial actually was a legit number from a real leupold scope , so if you called leupold to ask about the serial number--it was legit
Had a buddy buy one a few months back, had me look at it, think it was a vx3, holding it in my hands, couldn't tell the difference between the real McCoy or the fake, the one thing that was different was the "gold L", it was bright finished, verses a duller finish on the real deal, he called leupold, and the serial number was wrong... the box was spot on as well,... be carefull.
Mike

Hi guys, I'm new here. Just made an introductory post. I hope this is ok to post here....I looked through the different forum sections and didn't see a better place for this.

I'm looking for an optic and have a lead on someone who may have it. That someone was referred to me by a member (Quicksilver338) here. Also he indicated another member (Hand Skills) had dealings with the lead I was given too. There's a few things about the interaction that have given me a little pause, so before I send someone $ for a scope, I was hoping that some members here could verify this is a legit seller and can put my mind at ease?

Here is the summary of the situation, which is posted on Calguns:

I am looking for a hard to find optic and was contacted by two people about reaching out to this individual: Rob @ [email protected]

Both people were new to Calguns and one was kinda odd and got banned almost immediately.

I reached out to this Rob guy and nothing super weird, just short and sweet messages. Does anyone know this Rob Mason guy? Wanted to check before I sent several hundred dollars via Paypal.

Note: on paypal it was converting dollars to euros which I thought was odd. Says the optic will ship from southern CA. There was no request to send it as a gift which is good because that should enable paypal protection right?

Am I being paranoid? Is this Rob Mason guy well known on the forums/industry?

Does anyone here know this Rob guy and had good dealings with him?
Edit/Delete Message

Sorry I'm slow on the uptake. Been on the road up north and out of the cellular service area. Unfortunately I can't be of much help. I don't recall dealing with a Rob Mason - a search of my email turned up no results. I am in Canada, so most of my transactions are with other Canucks on CGN.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for the mention, brother. Wish I had more insight for the OP!

He did send me numerous pics of the scope. Good quality. When I asked if the top turret was marked MK12 Mod1 556 77gr, he responded with an additional picture showing that top turret in focus with everything correct.

So the Paypal transaction seems safe since he's not asking for it as a 'gift'
And the photos look legit

But I do see some grammatical stuff that makes me hesitant.

I will keep this updated. And you guys are awesome for all this help!

Ask Leupold if the serial number matches the model number, Leopold takes counterfeiting very seriously and will do their best to ensure you get a genuine product

Don't walk, run. And don't even think about Paypal backing you. Once they even get a hint the item is gun related, your done-----S-O-L.

Sorry I'm slow on the uptake. Been on the road up north and out of the cellular service area. Unfortunately I can't be of much help. I don't recall dealing with a Rob Mason - a search of my email turned up no results. I am in Canada, so most of my transactions are with other Canucks on CGN.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for the mention, brother. Wish I had more insight for the OP!

Sent you a PM with screen shots that have your name in them. Hopefully you can shed some light on this. Thanks for replying!

I would say another scam gets tried on Gunbroker sometimes. A new seller pops up with no history and only one item for sale. Gunbroker itself will ask in a notation if that listing has been seen anywhere else. If so report it. Gunbroker is just trying to keep scammers from stealing a listing from another site and re-posting it on GB's site.

2 of the 3 scopes the OP is looking for are not rare. The NF is a bit tougher but they pop up for sale.
Stick with know sellers with plenty of readable feedback.

@Hand Skills thank you for confirming what I thought. The screen shots were faked.

With everyone's help here I dodged a scam and got at least 1 of the parties involved removed from the Calguns forum. One less dirtbag. Thank you to everyone here :)
Good for you. I almost got scammed on a barrel. When I asked for photos of barrel markings, etc, POOF!, scammer deleted account. Cockroaches.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts