Question about a rifle purchase

wesleyffc

Hi guys looking to get into long range shooting and I found this Remington 700 bdl in 300 RUM. Is this a good deal it comes with some dyes and 50 empty brass cases. He wants $1000 but messaged me saying he would take less and to make an offer. Also i will add photos shortly trying to figure it out.

image000003.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000002.jpeg
image000004.jpeg
image000005.jpeg
image000000.jpeg

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 18
The 300 RUM shooting 220 or heavier bullets is a fantastic LR round but finding a factory rifle that shoots great out of the box is difficult. The photos you just posted look like a Sendero - I have one exactly like that. I think I had it bedded, but it is only one of two LR rifles that doesn't have a custom barrel (the other being a Savage. I always wonder why someone sells a LR rifle - is the barrel shot out? Accuracy not there?

I bought an Edge off a guy (my only LR gun I didn't buy new) because he wanted money to buy a lathe (he got into BR shooting). That rifle shoots like champ - just hit about 3" from dead center at 1042 - it now has 514 rounds down the tube since I bought it.

Anyway, unless the barrel is gone, looks like a fair deal to me.

The price seems to be pretty fair. As stated the 300 RUM is a beast and the ammo is expensive. Great hunting caliber IMO. If your just getting into long range shooting/hunting there are way better calibers to start off with that don't break the bank every time you pull the trigger. Keep in mind long range shooting/hunting takes lots of practice to be proficient under hunting conditions. This is not a practical cartridge to practice with. Good Luck.

I agree with comments about expense, weight and recoil. This may be the reason he is selling it. However, if you are thinking about chasing elk or larger game, the 300 RUM will definitely do the trick. If you are just starting down this LR rifle shooting road, you may not want to start with something that punishes you shoulder and wallet on the front end.

Yes, I'll go to the extreme and say it's a killer deal, assuming you're getting the scope too.
And, as mentioned by the other members it does eat expensive ammo at $3-4 each shot.
The stock new is about $350
as it's an HS precision with an aluminum bedding block.
The scope is a Leupold and it could be worth $300 and up. It's got a break, installed would be $150. That's $800 and the barreled action is worth $1000 if you pieced it together yourself with components and a Smith. Dies are $60. Brass is worth $3 per piece.
There is no way I would pass on it. Especially if he says he'll negotiate.
Get on the phone and buy it now.
For target work and learning, go buy anything else and learn dialing and all your fundamentals.
Zero this one for the hunt, and go kill anything in North America.
I'd buy it if you want to pass on it. Amazing deal.