Question about a rifle purchase

For a newbie getting into LR you should get a 6 or 6.5 mm cartridge, like a 6 CM or 6.5 CM. Reason being you should learn on a cheap to shoot, less recoiling rife. You'll shoot more, and theres plenty of decent bc factory ammo if you dont reload. On the cheap, buy a Bergara HMR and a scope that has a ffp mil or moa reticle, like a Vortex PST 5x25x50, a 20 moa Warne scope base and 30mm rings, and a Precision Armament Hypertap brake. Not really cheap but cry once. This set up will get you to 1000 yards very nicely.
That Sendero is not what you want.

I'd "pull the trigger" 🤣 on that deal!

But I'd be a tad nervous about the bore. You said it hasn't been shot much and if you deem this man trustworthy and take his word then absolutely I'd say buy it. If you're not so sure I'd honestly want to have someone with a borescope look at it first. Used rifles in any RUM or Weatherby calibers really have the potential to still look new on the outside and have a seriously "devoured" throat.

Last edited:
Put a Witt Machine brake on it, and your recoil will be reduced tremendously.
As far as the Sendero is concerned, mine shot great right out of the box, and only got better when the bbl finally came in to it's own. Finding a load it really likes, it shot even better, 3 shots covered by a dime at 100....... JMHO

$1,000 including everything including Leupold scope is a screaming deal.
In fact, the fact that he's even willing to negotiate even lower would make me a little leery.
I'd have him email a picture of the serial number.

Great buy. That's a little older rifle, (no palm swell and no paint in the flutes) Much better than the newer SF2.

Seems ok, if 300 RUM is what you want. If I were in your shoes, I'd plan to dump the scope, mount and die set. Get better for all 3 and see how it shoots. Might be a good rifle to try a tuner brake and hammers on. Both can shorten the loading process.

No telling how it will shoot. Don't be unreasonable. Factory barrels are often 1.5". That said, you are starting off with a better stock than 99% of factory rifles.

I'm just saying I wouldn't shoot 1000 rounds to find 0.5" groups.