Help with rra varmint a-4 reloading

I have a RRA also. Had good luck with H4895 and TAC with Barnes 62gr and up. Half MOA at 100. I also load mag length. On a side note, you will need small base dies for the semi automatic...

just NOT TRUE.

if you use your brass from one rifle back in that rifle, std dies work fine. if you mix brass between multiple rifles only testing will tell.
if you use someone else's brass it MAY require a small base die, but probably not. 556 machine gun brass typically needs trimming and the necks are so beat up it is not worth my time.
On a side note, you will need small base dies for the semi automatic...

Last edited:
YOU need to step back and put some real world perspective to most of these "comments".
i have been building ar's, specifically TARGET ar's, for close to 20 years.
distance, bullet and accuracy.. the mil guys with TARGET rifles shoot 200/300 and 600 yards in a typical match. THEY DO NOT SHOOT MAG LENGTH AMMO FOR 600. the load singles, with typically 80/80.5/75 loaded way over nag length, like 2.45" they are trying to hit a 6"x, and a 12" 10 ring. anyone claiming mag length ammo and target size grouping is suspect. there is a mag length 77 but it is not a 2 moa or less round at 800.
chambers..the wylde chamber was developed for these guys. it is actually a POOR choice for a rifle that shoots mag length ammo only.
you are not going to get close to the lands with mag length ammo and a wylde chamber.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions! I'm gonna get me some Ramshot TAC and I just ordered some 77 grain TMKs from Larry Potterfield. I'm probably also gonna get some 55 grain GMX's or some 70 grain GMX's as well. I prepped some Lake City brass this afternoon and ran it through my Wilson gauge and I'm all fired up to take this RRA to the next level!
I hope the tipped MKs will load to mag length. I have no direct experience with this bullet but I have noted that the TMKs are quite a bit longer than their traditional counterparts.

I echo the recommendations for the Hornady 75 and 68 gr. BTHPs. They comfortably load to mag length (I load both to 2.260" without problems in Lancer mags) and they shoot very well out of my ARs at mag length. I use them in my bolt gun, too, and have found them to be easy to tune. They're not very picky when it comes to seating depth but they do prefer a good jump to the lands - .020" out seems to be their happy place in my bolt action.

Good luck with your load development.

I have 10 AR's and never used a small base die. There are Krieger, Shilen, Lother Walther, and White Oak Armament barrels in the mix.

It's OK about the small based dies. I've had them for a few years now, so it's not like I'm going to go out and buy new ones. I did some research back when I decided to handload for my ARs and it was recommended to get them. With no other .223 centerfires in my arsenal, I figured what the heck? I can understand, however if I was using dedicated brass in the same AR rifle, I could probably get be fine with standard dies. Seems logical to me.

Anyway, not a single failure to feed or issues with anything not going "bang" so far. I guess I'm doing something right.

I hope the 77 grain TMKs work at mag length too. It will be a bummer if they don't but if not, I'll just put on my big boy tightie-whities, single feed them and deal with it.

Update: I got my 77 grain TMK's and picked up a pound of Ramshot TAC and loaded up a ladder today from 21.1 to 23.4 grains. COL was 2.255. Just fits in my mags. Now all I need is some decent weather and a trip to the range!

I must say that Ramshot TAC is really neat stuff. Like fairy dust. I was using a RCBS chargemaster light and had to put the plastic wind cover on it, as the little grains were actually bouncing out of the pan!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.