Help with rra varmint a-4 reloading

YZ-80

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with my RRA Varmint A-4 (20" 1:8"). So far, it's gone well and I've been able to squeek out .40 MOA out of a 65 grain Sierra Gameking over 25 grains of Varget (CBTO: 1.867"). This is all well and good but I'd like to start shooting some higher quality, heavier pills and I'm wondering what the recommendations are? Also, Varget has always been my "go-to" powder for my .22 center fires because to be honest, I've never tried anything else. I think I may be leaving something on the table if I don't consider some other propellants. So here is some more info:

1) I want to load to mag length
2) I'd like the bullet to be suitable for hunting. Deer out to 250 yds., Groundhogs to 400 (not too concerned about cost, as I'm not a high volume shooter). Also, I know I should not waste medium game type bullets on groundhogs but I don't really care.

So what's the best "heavier" bullet that I can stabilize, load to mag length and hunt with my set up? Also, should I start out with something other than Varget or RL-15? Perhaps H335 or CFE 223?

Thanks!

Yz. Any idea what kind of freebore you have in that rifle? That will be your most limiting factor when trying to load to Mag length with heavy bullets. I personally shoot the 80.5 Berger for everything smaller than an elk but I doubt you have enough freebore to really fit this bullet into your rounds.

I'm not sure, Westex. It is a Wylde chamber. Typically (at least with my bolt guns) I use a Hornady OAL gage and (for a starting point) seat everything .002" off the lands. If I do that with the AR, I usually either push the bullet out of the comparator case before it encounters the lands and/or I end up screwing the pooch on being able to load to mag length. So, I usually eye things up checking how long I can make a dummy round and still have it fit in the mag and go from there.

Yz, admittedly I've never reloaded for an ar15 so I called literally the only person I know that does. He said he has never been able to reach the lands in an ar15 223 without exceeding Mag length. Of course double check with the method of your choice but you can basically load to Mag length and fire away.

I'd be happy to send you a few Berger's but they are moly coated

75-77gr BTHP with IMR 8208 XBR at or slightly above book max good to 800yds maybe 1000yds under the correct conditions. For deer I'd load 55gr GMX you could use the 75-77 but there not really a hunting bullet although my testing of the Hornady 75's performance in bullistic gel showed acceptable performance I would consider shooting deer with them in a pinch.

75-77gr BTHP with IMR 8208 XBR at or slightly above book max good to 800yds maybe 1000yds under the correct conditions. For deer I'd load 55gr GMX you could use the 75-77 but there not really a hunting bullet although my testing of the Hornady 75's performance in bullistic gel showed acceptable performance I would consider shooting deer with them in a pinch.

Thanks very much for your insight. I have considered the 55 grain GMX and was also looking at some of the offerings from Berger in the 70-75 grain VLD. I wish Berger had a Hybrid Target/Hunting bullet in .224 like they do in .264. One question on the GMX - Do you taper/roll crimp into those grooves or do you just ignore them and rely on the neck tension? I use the RCBS small based AR series dies.

morning, 2 AR's 1 Rem bolt gun SPS heavy barrel 223.
27.5 tac 55gr. TTSX. 1 full rock river 223 match. 24.5grs. tac 55gr.
nosler new technologies. 1 DPMS upper and rock river lower
varmint. 53grs TSX flat base same powder and weight.
all these bullets kill deer and hogs very well

I don't crimp not that it's a bad idea I just don't bother. Both the Hornady 75 BTHP and the Seirra 77 BTHP can be mag length loaded Hornady also makes a 73gr Amax style bullet that can be mag length loaded but there are a lot complaints online about it not shooting very well I've bought a box of them but haven't tested them yet. I don't believe the 70-75 Berger's can be loaded to mag length. I've shot thousands of the 75's I get them in the 500 or 600 round boxes and try to catch them on sale. I have 1000yd private range if your not shooting those distances a very good alternative is the 68-69gr BTHP. For hunting I used to use 70 Barnes but in 223 unless loaded at book max I had unreliable bullet performance and your best accuracy may not coincide with book max so I dropped to the 55 GMX as a side note the 55 vmax/zmax loaded with the same recipe will shoot to the same POI. Do not adjust or change your seating die when swapping between the 55gmx and 55vmax. Don't underestimate how handy it is to have two mags loaded with different bullets for different purposes that you can grab either and not need to re-zero your scope.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions! I'm gonna get me some Ramshot TAC and I just ordered some 77 grain TMKs from Larry Potterfield. I'm probably also gonna get some 55 grain GMX's or some 70 grain GMX's as well. I prepped some Lake City brass this afternoon and ran it through my Wilson gauge and I'm all fired up to take this RRA to the next level!

Berger makes a 73 grain bt target that can be loaded to mag length. I wouldn't use them on the mule deer we have here but my be ok for smaller whitetail.
How big are the deer in your area?
I have shot a few coyotes with them, worked really well, unless you were trying to save pelts. Haven't recovered any bullets but had good penatration and performance. If you want to try a them I can send you a few?

Berger makes a 73 grain bt target that can be loaded to mag length. I wouldn't use them on the mule deer we have here but my be ok for smaller whitetail.
How big are the deer in your area?
I have shot a few coyotes with them, worked really well, unless you were trying to save pelts. Haven't recovered any bullets but had good penatration and performance. If you want to try a them I can send you a few?

Mature does around here are maybe 110 on the hoof on average. I shoot alot of them because I have crop damage permits. I appreciate the offer on the bullets. Let me see how my experimentation goes and maybe I'll take you up on it.

Best,

YZ-80

Mature does around here are maybe 110 on the hoof on average. I shoot alot of them because I have crop damage permits. I appreciate the offer on the bullets. Let me see how my experimentation goes and maybe I'll take you up on it.

Best,

YZ-80
Yeah I wouldn't hesitate to use them for something that size.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.