need help reloading for my RRA LAR-8

jbirdhunter

So i just got a Rock River Arms LAR-8 Varmit A4 .308 with a 26" barrel. I want to build a 1000y round and need some help in loads. From what I have read 175g is the ticket. But I'm wondering if I can get away with 168g seeing that I live and would shoot above 6000'. Also wondering what the latest and greatest load setups ever one is using. Thanks

So far out my RRA LAR8 Predator 20" my load is as follows:
Win Brass fully prepped
175 SMK
Varget
Fed 210M
OAL 2.80"
Gets me .5 MOA to 300yds so far. Muzzle velocity not checked yet. Used 168 SMK with similar results to 200yds but opted to go heavier to try to get to 1k. Also shot some South African surplus at 300yds which was .75 MOA and two inches to the left of my 175gr SMK group. I love this rifle! I'm still learning and want to stretch it out to 1k eventually. Will also add a heavy buffer eventually. If you reference some of the older service rifle data I believe they used WC 846 aka BL-C2. Varget has worked for me and is what I have since I didn't stash any pulled WC 846 prior to the market run. Have a good one!

Last edited:
Thanks steel rain. I think I'm going to go with the 175 when I can get some. I'm either going to use the varget or the reloader 17.

Donot discount the 155 scenar. My load in my elite operator is varget and 155 scenar. Much easier to shoot than the 168s. Never shot the 175s.
t

I shot 178 amax with varget , shot out to 800 gun held well under Moa at that range , 168 get sqirly out past in mine . Remember AR 308 should be shot at reduced loads , unless you have an adjustable gas blocks , book max loads will start braking bolt parts with continus shooting seen it happen just sayin .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.