Help with long range rifle purchase

Kirby....is fiftydriver his email is under his user name...
for Shawn look up defensive Edge...I think his email is also under his user name.

270AM over 300WM? I have a 300WM in a Sendero...Find the post 270AM group....under equipment reviews....270AM is a 300 or 7mmRUM necked down to 270...Ive never seen one or shot one but read enough in here and all I can say its a...bad dude! and of all the Allen Mags easiet to fireform and load for.

Figure a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT at 3400 fps with a BC way up there closest I can get out of these guys is .740...turns into one flat shootin gun.

Almost bought one for Tim/TX in here using a nightforce R2 recticle with a 150 yrd zero reaching to 1400 yds w/o touching the knobs.

And all Ill ever hunt with it is MS beanfields on whitetails.

Another reason is Kirby says he doesnt like to use a SS action on his big magnums(big as in 338 Lapua based). I was going to use a SS so the 270AM was the best choice.

The 300AM is still in development, but the 270 has already proven itself.

The lawton action route saved my 7mag LSS($1200 gun I get to hang onto) and also once the 300AM is ready to go, my custom 270AM on the lawton 7500 action would only need a rebarrel and bolt work and its ready to go as a 300AM.

You end up better off with a custom action you get to keep your old trusty on stand by... pass it down to your son .....whatever you get to keep it.

Last but not least the 270AM will blow a 300WM out the door!
The 270 is just flat out in another class!

On lawton actions if you dont have to have the repeater go with the 7500 over the 7000 $30 for a much better action.

Ok! If I messed any of this up you all please correct me!

The Manners tactical MCS-GAT like on Kirby's medium 7AM, I like a tumbhole or verticle grip from the prone. $495 single color...

Demonhunter,
If you want a less expensive 300 Win Mag, try a Sendero out of the box. Some shoot great, some are total duds. Another option is the Rem 700P in 300 Rem Ultra Mag which outperforms the 300 Win Mag and has ammo available in most sporting goods stores which would otherwise carry WinMag in case you ended up somewhere with the ammo lost. If it is a dud, send it to Kirby Allen, Shawn Carlock, Chris Matthews, or Rick Freudenberg. They can true the action, tune the trigger, and put on a new barrel. The whole thing would probably run about $2000 - $2250 including the price of the rifle in the first place.
The Allen Mags are absolutely firebreathing hammers and are defining the boundaries of performance, but you need to have some real handloading experience before jumping into the Indy Car level of performance. If you have it and want to push the limit, go for it. They are top of the heap of the heap of wildcats.

You are all right you don't need to spend a lot of money to end up with a good rifle there are a lot of good smith out there and on here Doc Ed also builds a good rifle and In my area is Clance Hammond he Known for his Long Range Bench guns. It boils down to how much you want to spend and what you like.

Demonhunter,

I use a Sendero out of the box in 300WM as my "get er done"
rifle (by no means is it a Dud)....but now I want the other end of the field not just the other side! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also sent you a PM.

Understand the sentiment - just was trying to toss out some options. I cringed on my first build and now think it some of the best money I ever spent. Make sure to buy a top-end scope. You will love it.
Jeff

Speaking of scopes, I have an IOR Valdada on my current rifle and love it. I was thinking of using a Nightforce on the custom. What do you or any other think the best option is?

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of scopes, I have an IOR Valdada on my current rifle and love it. I was thinking of using a Nightforce on the custom. What do you or any other think the best option is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the best is, but my choice would be the nightforce. I have five of them and I am very pleased. I am sure there are better ones out there, but for under 1500, I think they are very good for the money.

James

N/F no question end of story for my preference. If you shoot a flat shooter like the 270AM you might consider the 15x NPR2. It has 5 more 2moa bars for a total of 10moa more than the 22x NPR2. For my 338Edge I'm going with the 15x MLR.

Give the Okie boys Bill or Lerch a call and they will fix ya up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts