Help with cleaning barrel

BoomFlop

I have a custom Rock Creek barrel chambered in 7 SS. I'm using a Possum Hollow bore guide, Dewey coated rod and Patch out with Accellerator.

In the first 10 inches of the barrel is black in the bottom of the grooves. I have soaked and let sit and ran a bunch of patches to no avail. I do have to bend my rod just a little to get over the higher butt on my Alpine Hunter stock, but wouldn't think that the black is from my rod.

68 rounds down the barrel.

Ideas or thoughts?
Steve

My Bartlein is the same, 450 rounds. I used CLR and a plastic brush to deep clean a few weeks ago. Groups instantly tightened up to 1/2 moa but I still had the carbon layer. Bore paste might get rid of it but I'm not using that stuff on this barrel.

Untitled.jpg

Got some of that in my Bartlein as well.
Accuracy isn't there. It's been through an expensive load development period.
I've got 132 rounds down it and still searching for a load.
I ran it up and down about 25-30 cycles twice with JB bore paste on a patch after cleaning. Patches came out black as night and cleaned up much better afterwards.
About to try my 6th powder and 5th bullet in more load testing.
This is my first Bartlein and not sure if that is expected. Someone told me they take more time to "break-in".
We'll see.

You've got more patience than I would have. Hopefully you get some good info from Bartlein.
😂...
Well, actually...I am running a little short of patience by now!
The rifle build turned out beautiful... Naturally, that would be the one that gives me fits!
3 scopes, 2 stocks, 6 powders, 5 bullets and 3 primers and won't dip under 1 moa and stay there.
Will try some flat base bullets tomorrow.
If it doesn't get under 1 MOA and stay there... I'll contact Bartlein. 😞

I've got many different bullets from all name brands from 120 to 180 grain in 7mm.
I didn't try them all since I was going for the mid-weight hunting class of bullets...(barrel is 8.7 twist).
I started with 140 up to 168 and it showed preference to neither with several favorable powders for the 280AI.
My other one (8 twist) shoots almost anything I give it with the worst still being an acceptable load if need be.
Hope I didn't get the odd ball but I'm beginning to get that weak feeling.

If it looks like this, then cleaning it may do more harm than shooting it.

Attachments

• 5BEF698D-D16C-4E3D-9C46-E1E2BD4F666B.jpeg
    5BEF698D-D16C-4E3D-9C46-E1E2BD4F666B.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 394
  • C9C75FDE-643F-4864-BFF3-8D173444AC50.jpeg
    C9C75FDE-643F-4864-BFF3-8D173444AC50.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 391
  • BAF2F075-DECA-4031-B0A1-DB48F74161A3.jpeg
    BAF2F075-DECA-4031-B0A1-DB48F74161A3.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 396
My accuracy isn't effected by it, however, with borescope it definitely isn't "clean".
BoomFlot

Happy for you that your accuracy is there although its a tough cleaner.
Once I see that my rifles shoot... I leave the borescope in the cabinet. LOL
Except maybe my BR rifles, of course... but even those don't get looked at much.

If it looks like this, then cleaning it may do more harm than shooting it.
It looks like that now.
It looked solid black before cleaning and could feel the friction while running the patch through. It smoothed out after cleaning but was still charcoal black. I also shoot 3 round test groups with ample cooling time. Lately with the heat, I'm only loading and shooting 6 rounds per range trip. My farm range is one mile away so I can run out there when I get a break during the day.