Help with a $500 scope

wyatt earp

I am new to the site and have a question. Currently I have a Super Sniper 10x42mm on my Savage 12FV .308. I want to shoot out to 1,000 yards but want something with more magnification.

What is the best scope for $500 or less. I was looking at the new Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm but they were recalled last week. Do you think the 4.5-18x56mm Falcon would be a good choice. I am hesitant to mess with Falcon since they just recalled their newer scopes. I do like the SS but I think I want a variable power scope to help pick up targets faster.

It has to have target turrents and be variable power. Preferably with some kind of mil-dot reticle. I want to be able to be right up on the target at longer distances.

Thanks for the help, Wyatt

I know some guys on here have found the bushnell elite 4200 tactical, which is a 6-24x50 30mm tube, on ebay for less than $500. that would be my vote

6x18 vxII with turrets can be had for 499 at a internet wholeseller that isnt a sponser of this site. I would imagine that one of the sponsers has it for the same price. I didnt see a reticle that matched your preferance for that price.

The Falcons are supposed to be comparable with the SS but are available with a much wider variety of options. I've had a scope with a 56mm objective and would steer away from them in the future. The largest I'll go now is 50mm because they can still be mounted reasonably low. The new 4200 Tactical is very nice and can be purchased for about $530 from Big River Tactical.

I have found Nikon Monarchs to be well made scopes. I have also heard a lot of positive feedback on the Bushnell Elites.

Thanks for the help, I ordered a new Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 yesterday. I couldn't pass on it since it was $450.

Wyatt

I stand by my 4200 6-24x50 Tactical, E-mail Amy Bruno @ Brunos shooters supply about ordering this model. They didn't have it listed on their website but she special ordered me one and shipped it promptly, best service I've encountered yet. I believe it was only $513.00!
Tell her Aaron sent ya :)
Bruno Shooters Supply

I just sighted it in yesterday at 200 and I couldn't be more pleased! Tracks perfect, glass is excellent, fit and finish are superb for something in this price range in my opinion.

aaron7.jpg

I just sighted it in yesterday at 200 and I couldn't be more pleased! Tracks perfect, glass is excellent, fit and finish are superb for something in this price range in my opinion.
Could you give me some more info on your scope set-up?

What kind of base is that, 20 MOA, brand? Also what rings are those? Are they Burris Xtreme Tacticals? What Height?

Why did you sight-in for 200 yards instead of 100 yards? Was there enough adjustment to sight-in for 100 yards?

How much adjustment do you have left, how far can you go?

Thanks, and nice looking rig, I have a Eagle cheekpiece thats supposed to be here in a couple of days.

Wyatt

On the Bushnell website they say that the Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50 has 1/4 MOA adjustments. I was under the impression that there are only a select few scopes, like NF, that have adjustments in MOA.

Can anyone confirm this?

What I find on Bushnell's website claims .25" per hundred yards adjustment.

Lots of scopes claim MOA adjustment, whether they actually adjust in MOA or not is another story.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.