Help with a scope

• Thread starter Deleted member 56284
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56284

I just bought a used rifle that has a Japanese Bushnell 3x9 mounted on it. This particular scope is marked 1/3 clicks on the windage turrent and the elevation turrent has a knob on top when "dialed" that shows yardage in a little window on the rear of the turrent. The "yardage" numbers run from 100 to 500 with hash marks in between.

Can anyone provide any info about this scope and how well these yardage lines work etc? Are they calibrated for any particular caliber etc? I was told that the older Japanese Bushnells where pretty good scopes, but my experience with older ones was anything but positive. I have been around a long time but have never seen one of these before, so any info/insight anyone could add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Interesting. If it has delineations in yards it must be calibrated to some specific cartridge/bullet weight. Are there any ID markings on the scope? Can you post a picture?

Im Interested to see what you learn.

By coincidence, I just installed one of those scopes at the range last weekend. This one was beat up. The elevation knob was missing and the AR coating on the eyepiece was a dark blue color. Transmission was awful. I recall it said Bushnell Banner on the scope. Hopefully yours is in better shape. This one held zero very well on a .308 Win Rem 600.

Sorry I can't tell you more about the elevation turret. If the coatings look good, then it's probably a keeper.

It is marked Bushnell Banner and on the underside it states "made in Japan". This one is in bright blue and is in mint condition. It is a 3x9x40 with a duplex reticle and the "yardage window" is about 3/4" wide and 1/2" tall. There is no other markings except the inspection number. The glass is clear and bright and as I said the word I've heard is that the Japanese built Bushnell scopes where supposed to be pretty decent.

Can anyone provide any info about this scope and how well these yardage lines work etc? Are they calibrated for any particular caliber etc? I was told that the older Japanese Bushnells where pretty good scopes, but my experience with older ones was anything but positive. I have been around a long time but have never seen one of these before, so any info/insight anyone could add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm not familiar with that tparticular model, but it sounds like a typical stadia rangefinder.
Stadiametric rangefinding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your scope appears to use a second focal plane reticle in conjunction with the scope's zoom to compute the distance. Like any stadia rangefinder it's as accurate as your ability to estimate a fixed height superimposed on the target. You need to determine what that height is if you don't have the instructions, but that's as simple as setting a yard (or meter) stick vertically at the distance of the markings ( yards or meters doesn't matter as long as you're consistent). The range doesn't have to be in the same units as the height estimate. Use units you're most familiar with. (yards or meter for range, feet or inches or centimeters for height. Pick a unit for range, one for height, determine what the calibration value is then stick with those units.

If you'd post a clear image of the reticle it would be easier to explain. Center the camera on the scope holding the lens of the camera about 3-1/2" behind the eyepiece. If the scope is aimed at a white sheet of paper illuminated by room lights it will be easiest.

It has a "standard" duplex reticle with no additional lines. When I refer to the "yardage window" I am referring to the window on the outside of the elevation turrent that the
yardage appears when "dialing" up or down.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.