Help With .20Cal Build

Zen Archery

I've waited 2 years to see if the right .20cal would pop up here. I think there's a .20 Practical available now but I need a fast TR for the bullets I'm gonna run.
Not finding what I need just gonna order a .204 or .20 Practical X-Cal barrel (most likely a .204).
Main question I have is with gas tube length. If anyone is running a .204 or .20 Practical in a AR15 what is your gas tube length? I believe rifle length will be fine but I'm second guessing myself with that tiny bullet and fast powder speed and might need carbine length?
Primary targets will be coyotes, coons, beavers, PDogs and the occasional hog who happens to be in the field when I'm thermal night hunting.

I've waited 2 years to see if the right .20cal would pop up here. I think there's a .20 Practical available now but I need a fast TR for the bullets I'm gonna run.
Not finding what I need just gonna order a .204 or .20 Practical X-Cal barrel (most likely a .204).
Main question I have is with gas tube length. If anyone is running a .204 or .20 Practical in a AR15 what is your gas tube length? I believe rifle length will be fine but I'm second guessing myself with that tiny bullet and fast powder speed and might need carbine length?
Primary targets will be coyotes, coons, beavers, PDogs and the occasional hog who happens to be in the field when I'm thermal night hunting.
Check with Greg "ORKAN" he was coming out with a 20 Primal. Might want to check that out!

Last edited:
Wasnt it a 20 on the Creedmoor case?
Not sure it was last year when he was trying to develop it.
I said "I think that it may have been Greg's design of a PRC Case".
Greg was developing several cartridges. I can't find his Posts on LRH and looked at his website. He does not show and cartridge development.
If it was going to be of a 22 Creed you could just do a necked down 22 Creed yourself for a 20 Creed.
Even do a 20 Creed IMP! Just contact JGS with your design (just do a 22 Creed case and change the neck & shoulder & FB) and could get a custom Reamer and fire form Cases.
Use 39gr SBK or Berger 40gr or try to find a Solid Copper. HH has a 48 gr .204

Personally I would just stick with a .204R 39gr SBK 26" barrel and H-4895. Getting 3.900 fps and it is a hell of a PD, Chuck, Yote KILLER! Your range would be determined by the wind of course. I usually stay around 5-600 yds.

Greg's cartridge is a 20 Creedmoor with an Ackley improved shoulder.
I'm fairly pleased with my 20 Creedmoor, but it did take a little bit more load development as the powders you use are not quite the same as they are in the creedmoor family.
I have a 20 practical bolt action that I really like. Barrel life on it is much better than the 20 Creedmoor.

I'm fairly pleased with my 20 Creedmoor, but it did take a little bit more load development as the powders you use are not quite the same as they are in the creedmoor family.
I have a 20 practical bolt action that I really like. Barrel life on it is much better than the 20 Creedmoor.

Thanks for finding a link on 20 Primal or 20 Creed. I can't pull up any of "orkan" Greg's Posts. Maybe he had admin pull all his info.

Zen, I forwarded a screen shot of your question to a friend who's been playing with ars in 204 for years. His barrels are18 and 20 inches and both have rifle length tubes, one is a custom build the other is a Wilson.

Not to derail this thread, but what powder(s) did you end up going with? Working on mine now with RL26.

Steve from XCal barrel replied and told me to get standard rifle length.
Barrel ordered. Now the weeks of waiting.

Recent Posts