Help with 300wby build 1st build

RockyMtn Rutt

I am here to find out more information on building a long range 300 weatherby off a mark V action that I just picked up.

I know a 700 is probably better to build off of but I didn't want to take my 300 H&H apart and didn't want to shell out the money for one either. And I happened to come across a 300wby mark V german made for a steal.

I will be reloading for the gun, I plan on getting a Lilja barrel, trigger, stock, scope, and break. I also plan to have the action bedded and blue printed.

If anyone has any great info they are willing to share I am all ears!!

Gun Build:
.300wby
Mark V action
28 in Lilja Barrel (do I need to go longer? also what contour?)
Timney/ or jewel trigger
Bell & Carlson stock (would like a mcmillan but to pricey)
Leupold scope (would like a vx6 but not going over $1k)
Vias break

I know this is a super long first thread but if you have made it this far thanks in advance for the patience and time regarding this matter. Please let me know anything that I have missed or that may help.

To credit my shooting so no one takes shots at me....I've taken probably 20+ big game animals between the reanges of 400-550 yards with one shot (all with tika 300wm). So I do know a little bit about shooting. That being said I am still very young and have a lot to learn.

I'm doing almost exactly what you're doing except I'm dropping down in cartridge from the 300 Weatherby Mark V made in Japan that I also picked up for a good price to the 300 WM. Going to use a #4 Brux barrel finished at 27 inches. Will cut the chamber so that the 215gr Berger is at the lands with a COAL of 3.600. The scope will probably be a Vortex HSLR 6-24.

Had a long conversation with the smith who is a friend and knows the Weatherby receiver very well and he says the trigger is actually quite good and can be set up. He checked the lugs and said they were perfect. To start we are going to do some stuff with the original stock then see if it will shoot if not will probably use a McMillan.

Wanting to keep the rifle around 10.5 lbs loaded. The reason for the #4 barrel and no brake.

Thanks for the reply Jim and I must say that is one hell of a pic you have in your signature! As for the info I greatly appreciate it and I think you are making a good decision going with the 300wm. That's what I have been shooting for years and I have yet to find a problem with it. One flat shooting gun. I guess I am going for the case size and bigger bullet to push out to longer ranges. So that's why I am trying the 300wby build. I think any .30 cal is capable of hitting 1000 but looking at the drop and drift on the bullets out past 500 or a 1000 the wby looks pretty interesting.

As for the chamber I was thinking about doing the same thing I would really like to set the bullet as close to the lands as possible but haven't heard from anyone yet about how much pressure that would cause. It also seems that a lot of smiths I talked with as well have recommended the Brux barrels I just do not know much about them. I know they can shoot but I just have never shot one. I have shoot Lilja though and I was pretty happy. I've also shot kreiger and Shilen and I must say those are some amazing barrels but the wait time and price is not practical in my build. The stock should work just fine and it if looks anything like the one I just picked up the wood is something to behold. They really new what they were doing making guns back in the day. I can't say as much for the ones now (most factory that is).

I am with you on keeping the gun light as possible that's why I am going to try and stick around and under 12lbs. Once again thanks for the helpful insight and response to my thread I really appreciate it!

Also where abouts are you in Central ID? Know of any good spots for wolves? I've hunted my whole life pretty much over by Challis on the other side of the salmon. beautiful country over there

RMR
If you reload and like to fool with different powders and bullets and don't want to be guessing invest in the Quick Load software around 160 bucks. Your question about pressure is a good one when working with a max load. I was talking with Ed the other day who is the Quick Load support guy and one of my questions was where does Quick Load place the bullet in reference to the lands when figuring the pressure and I totally spaced it and got off on some other stuff.

Quick Load will give you pressure readings as you move the bullet in and out of the case. It will also give you the powder burn rate and where a particular load burns out in reference to the bullet leaving the barrel. The software is great. Still you need to view Quick Loads results as a guide and pay attention as you work with the load.

I think all the top barrel makers do a fine job. I just started using Brux years ago and there is no reason to switch.

I live near the Snake River between Cottonwood and Riggins. Bought a ranch and retired and hunt now where I live. Have never seen a wolf on this side of the Salmon and the herds in here are in pretty good shape yet. Before here spent most of my time hunting deer in eastern Idaho and elk in the Middle Fork of the Salmon River country on the west side.

Good luck with your project.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.