Help me build a "Truck Gun"

Qzilla

Help me build a \"Truck Gun\"

Not that I need another rifle but, I really like them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since I live in TX and hunt on 2 extremely large ranches we do a lot of driving in prime Whitetail country. It never fails that I see a Monster when driving and my rifles are either in the case or something goofy. So I want something that is easy to either carry in an overhead rack or just sit in the front with me with easy access to it.

Now when I say Whitetails you need to keep in mind that I kill many whitetails every year that dress in the 200-225lbs range. I do not hunt the hill country.

I want something that is light, short and would be easy to move inside a truck or be easy to hop out with. I would like as short of a barrel as possible. This is going to be a custom rifle and I really prefer a Remington 700.

I am really partial to a 257 Weatherby for a lot of my hunting but, I cannot seem to get a rifle that will be light enough and short enough (26" barrel etc) that will also shoot like what I want. This does not have to be a super long range hammer but, I would really like something that would be very accurate to 500-600 yards at least. I want something that will knock a big buck off his feet if I place the shot well (upper shoulder area). I have a 240 Weatherby in a Super Big Game Master that they used to offer and it is getting close but, I thought there might be some better cartridge out there? This can be a wildcat as well.

I am picturing some sort of modified version of a model 7 maybe?

So this it what it will look like:

Rem 700 action
Jewel Trigger
HS or Badger Box Magazine (Or another Box that works)

Here are the opinions I want:

1.) Caliber. This can be anything as long as it falls in with the rest of the criteria. Only limitation is that I am not willing to firefor brass as a required step in reloading. Necking up or down or anything else within reason is ok.

2.) Barrel length and minimum contour that will be accurate .5 MOA/100 and accurate out at 500-600 yards.

3.) Stock. I want something light weight and I do not know much about stocks.

This gun will not have a brake as I do not think you will be able to choose a caliber with enough recoil to need one given the requirements above.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions feel free to let me know. I have thick skin so if this is just plain stupid you can tell me that as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I would like to see how light we could get it as well by lightening everything possible and maybe using some of those fancy bolts and other parts that are available now days.

Thanks in advance!

Quad

Re: Help me build a \"Truck Gun\"

Quad,

How about a Rem 700, HS box mag assy, 22" Hart fluted #4, chambered in 7mm WSM, HS pro series stock. Jump out weight 7 lbs + optics. You can get Federal factory ammo with 160 gr Accubonds loaded in them.

m5_ultralight.gif

This is what you just described. Your desire would be filled perfectly for less than a custom. Your choice of caliber 6 3/4 pounds. I would recommend the 257Wby or 270Wby

Here is what I have planned for a light weight compact gun
Rem 700 action machined and Wyatts box,m-16 Badger extractor
Lone wolf carbon stock , in ADL bottom
22" rock creek #4 barrel fluted, 1-12 twist .308 bore
Tally one piece ring/bases.
the whole thing trued and blue printed and chambered for 300WSM.
I'm thinking that I should be able to get the 180gr Accubond and Ballistic tips running out at 2900fps at least which would make a for a good 500yd deer/elk gun and the whole thing should weigh in at less than 8lbs , be reasonably short and balance pretty well.
the only thing I might change is the caliber to either 325WSM or 338WSM.

How about something like this. Best part is, it's recoil-less. Not sure they'd still dress out over 200lbs, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ail-recoilless-gun-storm.jpg

Hi how about this get a Rem Model7 Stainless and have it rechambered for a 6.5 short action ultra mag. of stick with the 7mm Rem SAUM that is what i use. The 22" barrel is great and fit a light weight stock with a limbsaver recoil pad. I would fit one of the nightforce 2.5-10 compact scopes they are just amasing and totaly indistructable. IF you are going to be using it out of a vehicle as a workhorst it will get dusty and dirty the jewell trigers dont like that. if you can keep it very clean the jewell is the way to go they are awsome. if not have Shawn or Kirby build the rifle and adjust your trigger and hone the sears it will be fine. fit some seekins bases and rings they are well worth the price and you will have a rifle that will be light and handy there when you need it and have the energy when you want it. I would not wory about a detachable mag as the standard ones are OK. If you wanted a detachable mag use a Rem 700 instead and use a HS or Badger detachable mag and leave the rest the same.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I know some Texas guides who carry T/C Encores with short, heavy barrels. Fast and handy little rifle for truck use, simple and tough. Only one shot but that should be enough. Usually in .243, nasty coyote killers - out the window in seconds. You have to handle an 18" or 20" Encore in .308 Win. to believe how fast they point. I would use 175 Black Hills match or the newer 168 Amax load and be confident out to 5-600 yards.

The Thompson's are about as short and handy as you're going to find. They can shoot fairly well but I've never shot one past 200 yards - I'm sure someone on this board has tried one at longer ranges.

I think a model 7 is also a good starting point if you want to stay with a Remington action. My caliber choice would be a 7mm 08 for light recoil and is enough caliber for 500 yards.

Something like this:

model7.jpg

TAC

first off where are you at in texas??

second save your self some time and a lot of money for a rifle that gets banged round in a hunting truck and go get a savage in 308,30-06,300wm,300wsm,338wm they all shoot well. if all you shoot is 500-600 a savage is well up to the task right out of the box i was shooting out to 600 with my savage 223 this weekend. i have a savage 300wsm that i keep in my hunting truck that shoots .5 at 100 i payed like 475.00/500.00 for it. savage is a great rifle that is often over looked. i have 7 savages and they all shoot great

I am gonna agree with Ian on this one, the TC's are very nice and very short. I have shoot one out to 500yds and they grouped right along with some factory guns, around 4-5". My dad has a Rem Model 7 in a 243 that is awfully nice as well, very short.

You might also looked towards the New England Firearms handi-rifles. They come in every caliber from 204ruger to 500 S$W. They are not a very good looking gun but for $200.00 they are pretty accruate and very compact single shots.

good luck
steve

I'm a Texan too. We hunt a 42,000 acre ranch on the Throckmorton/Shackleford county line. Big country, wide open, lots of driving around. You're apt to run upon hogs and coyotes, as well as a buck chasing a doe. Your truck rifle needs to be HANDY, that is short-barreled, light, accurate, and capable of dropping the animal in its tracks.
My older Remington Mod 7 in 7-08 with its 18.5" barrel is accurate and fast (HANDY). It wears a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 scope. The currently produced Mod 7 has a 20" barrel, I believe. Of the more than 2 dozen rifles in my gun safe, this rig is the one I most often use for my deer hunting in Texas. The short barrel is also HANDY in the tight confines of a deer blind. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.