Help setting up wife's new gun

If most of your or her use is in wooded timber, than go with the lower magnification. Whitetail deer have a tendency to not stay still for very long, which will make it very difficult to get on target when using very high magnification. Even at 22x with a NF on an elk at 800 yards can be difficult to find in the scope. This has been my real life experience.

My load per Berger's SG calculator yielded ... 1.92 for my range elevation and 2.08 for my hunting grounds' elevation.

I think that 2sg is an ideal place to be. Not always easy to achieve but bullets really shine at the higher sg. They say that 2sg is considered the min for dangerous game hunting. What I do know for sure is that in our testing the higher the sg the better the terminal performance.

Steve

So sorry what is 2sg

Feenix hit it right. SG is the stability factor. There are a couple good, easy to use calculators out there. JBM Ballistics JBM - Calculations - Stability

This is a good one and worth spending some time playing with. Temp and altitude are the biggest players in the calculation. The lower either of those get the harder it is to stabilize a bullet. Most bullets will fly accurately with an SG as low as 1.2. A bullet at this low level of stability will almost always tumble on impact. Once the stability gets up to 1.5sg it is acceptable for hunting and will deform as designed on impact as the nose stays oriented forward on impact. The higher the bullet SG is the better job it will do of staying point forward on impact and retaining the direction of travel through the target. The higher the SG gets the more likely the bullet is to stay on the intended direction through the target without veering off course. Thus it is recommended to have an SG of 2 or higher for dangerous game hunting to ensure deep straight line penetration.

In our testing bullets perform better on impact the higher the SG is. It only makes sense that a bullet will slow down its rotational force as it encounters media. As that rotational force slows the bullet will start to tip and tumble. So the faster it is spinning the longer it stays stable as it impacts. The longer it stays stable the longer it has to deform properly.

Sorry for the hijack from the original post.

Steve

For scopes, I would look at the Zeiss CONQUEST HD5 3-15x42 or x50. They are about the same price as the Vortex PST II, but they are lighter and have better glass. The better glass is what will help at long distances more than magnification. The difference will good glass over high magnification can be amazing at longer ranges.

The Zeiss is about 4 oz. lighter and the smaller tube will allow it to be mounted lower on the rifle making cheek weld, etc. much better.

I agree with with the suggestions to go with a 3.5-15 or a 4-16 power scope.

One thing I would think about is FFP vs SFP.

For hunting, I almost in all situations prefer the 2nd focal plane reticle because it doesnt change size when you power down for that up close shot on 4 power. I find it difficult to pick up the reticle with my NF ATACR 4-16F1 when i need power below 10.

I really get along well with my NF NXS 3.5-15x50 F2's for hunting and steel at further distances than you have described. Its a scope you might want to consider.

I have the exact same rifle as my general/do all mtn rifle. Had a brake put on before i ever fired it and put on a brown spider web bell and carlson stock. She currently wears a 6-18 AO VX2 (As far as my dislikes, low isnt low enough, the reticle is too fine, and theres no illuminated reticle). I liked the rifle so much i just bought another one in 25-06, same stock but in green spiderweb and a 4-12x VXR firedot. Might have to buy another one of these for the 300wm. As far as my needs go she seems just about perfect.
As far as the brake goes, your wife should be fine with it on. Dont know how it recoiled before the brake (cause i never fired it) but i did fire one shot from the waist with one hand and had no discomfort at all. Great rifles for the money. Enjoy!

For scopes, I would look at the Zeiss CONQUEST HD5 3-15x42 or x50. They are about the same price as the Vortex PST II, but they are lighter and have better glass. The better glass is what will help at long distances more than magnification. The difference will good glass over high magnification can be amazing at longer ranges.

The Zeiss is about 4 oz. lighter and the smaller tube will allow it to be mounted lower on the rifle making cheek weld, etc. much better.

Is this scope lighted ?

I have the exact same rifle as my general/do all mtn rifle. Had a brake put on before i ever fired it and put on a brown spider web bell and carlson stock. She currently wears a 6-18 AO VX2 (As far as my dislikes, low isnt low enough, the reticle is too fine, and theres no illuminated reticle). I liked the rifle so much i just bought another one in 25-06, same stock but in green spiderweb and a 4-12x VXR firedot. Might have to buy another one of these for the 300wm. As far as my needs go she seems just about perfect.
As far as the brake goes, your wife should be fine with it on. Dont know how it recoiled before the brake (cause i never fired it) but i did fire one shot from the waist with one hand and had no discomfort at all. Great rifles for the money. Enjoy!

Stock cost ?

Is this scope lighted ?

No, it is not necessary. The scopes have a thicker reticle. It is more of a traditional hunting weight and shows up well in low light. The reticle also makes it easy to keep on targets that are moving.

The reticle is not as thick as FFP scopes at max zoom, which is a good thing.

They have these scopes in stores at Cabelas. At Cabelas you can compare them against Vortex, Leupold, and NF. I like the Zeiss glass better than NF, it just has better contrast.

I understand what Toecutter is talking about with the thin Leupold reticle and need for illumination. The Zeiss is not like that.

Theyre $271 most anywhere i looked. Redhawk rifles had a sale about two weeks ago for 10% off and free shipping. Timing was perfect as i had just picked up the rifle.

No, it is not necessary. The scopes have a thicker reticle. It is more of a traditional hunting weight and shows up well in low light. The reticle also makes it easy to keep on targets that are moving.

The reticle is not as thick as FFP scopes at max zoom, which is a good thing.

They have these scopes in stores at Cabelas. At Cabelas you can compare them against Vortex, Leupold, and NF. I like the Zeiss glass better than NF, it just has better contrast.

I understand what Toecutter is talking about with the thin Leupold reticle and need for illumination. The Zeiss is not like that.
I saw on a forum that this scope was set like a Bev scope for 300 win mag pushing 180 is this true ?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.