Help setting up wife's new gun

Maina

Ok I got her the tikka light 300 win mag
I'm putting a muzzle break on it now
She has never shot past 100 yards
I'm not going to push her but I want to buy things one time also.
I'm looking at a vortex viper gen. 2 in
6-25x50 mm ffp
3-15 x44mm ffp
I don't see her shooting at game past 300-400 yards (big northern deer 300 lb on the Hoof ). But targets out to 600-700 yards
I'm thinking 165 grain Barnes 3250 or more fps dead on 200 drop 5 inches at 300 . For hunting at first .but go with the smaller scope ?
But what if she likes it and wants to shoot longer ? Do I go with bigger scope ?
6-24 power when a deer steps out at 50 yards is tuff . I shot on last year at 40 yards with my scope at 6-24x50 amg . And it was moving fast . It sucked. Or do I go with 210 grain and a drop chart to 600 ?

Do you hunt in any areas which have lots of trees or brush? You would want the lower magnification for that.

Well yea eathere thick brush or in a clear cut or on a power line .
That's what's killing me lol ? Becouse there is only 100 separating the two scopes.

I shoot a 3-15 scope out to 800 yards without issue. Would I like a little more magnification at times? yes. But I love that I can crank it down to 3 for short range shooting when needed. That is the way I would go.

10X is sufficient to get to 1000 yards. It has been my experience that newer shooters struggle when on higher power because of how much the scope bounces if you aren't completely still. I think the 3-15 would be ideal. I'm also a big fan of the 200+ grain bullets.

I would put whatever scope you have available on it and have her shoot it . Many women won't handle a lightweight 300 WM very well . See if she likes it before spending a lot on a quality optic .

If she handles it well , then move on to proper scope selection.

Go with the lower power scope. It will work to 1000y very nicely. Much easier to get eye lined up in hunting situation on lower power.

The Tikka have 11" twist so choose the bullets accordingly.

Steve

She is 5,10 very athletic very healthy and shooting a gun for a while now with the crazy pain tolerance like having kids and not using any painkillers she's tough as nails the gun is light her arm are long I'm not too worried about gun selection specially with the brake on it .

I'm looking at a vortex viper gen. 2 in
6-25x50 mm ffp
3-15 x44mm ffp

Another option for your consideration, check out the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP with varmint reticle.

The Tikka have 11" twist so choose the bullets accordingly.

Steve

Agreed! My SAKO M995 in .300 WM also have 1:11". Because of our altitude I could have used 210 Berger but went with 190 Berger instead and ended up harvesting MT bull elk at 931 yards pushing the 190 at 3043 FPS.

Another option for your consideration, check out the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP with varmint reticle.

Agreed! My SAKO M995 in .300 WM also have 1:11". Because of our altitude I could have used 210 Berger but went with 190 Berger instead and ended up harvesting MT bull elk at 931 yards pushing the 190 at 3043 FPS.

I think that was a good choice. The more I learn about stability the more important it becomes. 1.5sg is considered the min for good hunting performance. Min does not necessarily mean good. :) The higher the sg the better terminal performance gets.

Steve

I have a Burris xtr 4-20, it's listed up here for sale. Amazing scope, but you HAVE to have it illuminated if it's below 6 power. I am looking to replace it with a second focal plane scope, or just not hunting with this rifle.

I think that was a good choice. The more I learn about stability the more important it becomes. 1.5sg is considered the min for good hunting performance. Min does not necessarily mean good. :) The higher the sg the better terminal performance gets.

Steve

My load per Berger's SG calculator yielded ... 1.92 for my range elevation and 2.08 for my hunting grounds' elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.