Help setting up wife's new gun

I saw on a forum that this scope was set like a Bev scope for 300 win mag pushing 180 is this true ?

I havn't heard that specifically. The Zeiss Rapid-Z reticle is a BDC type reticle, but Zeiss has an App for it that you enter you bullet type, range, velocity, conditions, etc. and it then calculates the correct zoom setting on the scope to make the BDC lines in the scope accurate to the yardages the lines correspond to. So, in reality you can use it with any cartridge and bullet.

I have a RZ 800 on a 25-06 and it works great for me out to 500 yards. I have a 460 yard kill with it and several between 3~400 yards.

The user guide explains how to tailor the zoom setting specifically to your load. That is what I do and it works very well. I basically use the recommended setting from the Zeiss app, use that setting and shoot at 300 yards. If the bullet hits low, I adjust the zoom down a bit at a time until the zoom setting is perfect for the 300 yard mark on the reticle. If the shot is high, I zoom up until until it is right on. I note the zoom setting and them mark it with a piece of scotch tape (of all things). I place the tape across the zoom ring and the eye box, then slice it into along the void. I can then just dial the zoom back to where the tape aligns perfectly and I am good to go from 100 to 500 yards. Never actually tested at 600 yards, but that's ok as 500 yards is the practical limit for the 25-06. If I wanted to shoot further, I could try the RZ reticle or just dial the scope. I would probably dial, as dialing always seems more precise than holdover/ BDC reticles at longer distances.

Pic below shows how I use the tape on the scope. It is very quick and easy to take a shot to 3~500 yard shot this way. I really don't have to think about MOA or drop charts or anything.

Attachments

• CM160929-08110902.jpg
    CM160929-08110902.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.