Help read OCW results

Since your in a hurry to get an acceptable load do this. Load 3 bullets at 51.8 .010 off the lands. This would mean the bullet is .070 longer than what you loaded for the last test. Try that using the same hold, bags/set up you had last time and see what happens. If you have enough time I would load 3 bullets each at just touching, .005 off, .010 off, .015 off, and .020 off at 51.8 and shoot another OCW test with it.

Yeah that's a little far from me BUT I do have a good friend who lives in that area. He is kinda new to reloading but catching on very fast. He is VERY meticulous about his loading which may be exactly what you need. If you are interested ill contact him and see if he'd be willing to meet you at a range or something and see if he can get you in good shape for season. If you are interested just PM me your number and I'll see if he's up to it.

I personally dont think round robin shooting is good for shooting groups and am sure its not doing you any favors.

Constantly changing POA and rifle position is not a way to move toward consistency, especially with a finicky, ill balanced rifle.

Give your barrel length and one of the QL/OBT disciples will give you the magic load if you are going to try OCW.

That should give you a place to start from and let's see what happens. right now you are all over the place, literally.

Personally, I think you should try bullets in the 165-168 range and start at Max COAL for your magazine. Going .010 off the lands is a non starter IF you intend to load from the magazine.

The Barnes 168 TTSX will take a long jump and shoot very well normally.

Give your barrel length and one of the QL/OBT disciples will give you the magic load if you are going to try OCW.

That should give you a place to start from and let's see what happens. right now you are all over the place, literally.

Personally, I think you should try bullets in the 165-168 range and start at Max COAL for your magazine. Going .010 off the lands is a non starter IF you intend to load from the magazine.

The Barnes 168 TTSX will take a long jump and shoot very well normally.
I have shot the barnes but I was not getting the desired velocity to give me enough expansion at 400 yards at the time. Should have tried other powered but bought 100 rounds of nosler accubonds. I have decided to go with the most consistantly load I have which is only 1.5MOA for this hunting season and limit my shots to 250 yards. I will then work a new load for next season.
I personally dont think round robin shooting is good for shooting groups and am sure its not doing you any favors.

Constantly changing POA and rifle position is not a way to move toward consistency, especially with a finicky, ill balanced rifle.
I understand what you are saying but everyone said to do it round robin style to allow for consistency across all groups. That way all groups are shot under all conditions such as hot barrel and fouled barrel.

I have shot the barnes but I was not getting the desired velocity to give me enough expansion at 400 yards at the time. Should have tried other powered but bought 100 rounds of nosler accubonds. I have decided to go with the most consistantly load I have which is only 1.5MOA for this hunting season and limit my shots to 250 yards. I will then work a new load for next season.

I understand what you are saying but everyone said to do it round robin style to allow for consistency across all groups. That way all groups are shot under all conditions such as hot barrel and fouled barrel.

Heya BigE, if you are getting consistent 1.5 Moa... Then at worst... You are still under 6" at 300 yards.... Well within the vitals of a deer and way within the vitals of an elk. I wouldn't hesitate going out to at least 300 yards with a 1.5 group... As long as you are shooting from a position you are going to use in the field.

I understand the idea behind it, i just think its B.S.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.