Help please think I'm doing this wrong

I truly get what your saying , but what sucks is I just spent $1200 on reloading stuff to come up with a good round for this gun , but I new it would take time and I wanted to start shooting . So I ordered 3 boxes of Nosler Custom rounds just to play with till I got this reloading thing going ( I have never done it before). I can always order more :D . If I suck at reloading

I truly get what your saying , but what sucks is I just spent $1200 on reloading stuff to come up with a good round for this gun , but I new it would take time and I wanted to start shooting . So I ordered 3 boxes of Nosler Custom rounds just to play with till I got this reloading thing going ( I have never done it before). I can always order more :D . If I suck at reloading

Figure out everything about those Nosler rounds that are shooting so well. That way you can duplicate them if nothing else ( hand loaded or otherwise) works in the rifle. I would even pull a bullet or two or three to weight the powder charge and see if I could figure out the powder they were using from that and their reloading manual.

If those are the Berger 230 gr match bullets and if you load them to fit inside a 3.600" magazine, you may not be able to measure them from the Base to the Ogive with that tool you are using because the front of the bullet bearing surface will be down about .100" inside the case neck.

is this where I went wrong ? Was thinking this is the one for 30 cal. ?

pretty simple. your stony point OLG measures from the base to the oigive of the bullet not the tip. Tips vary too much to try to use them for an overall length.

the bullet comparator in the above picture is designed to catch the bullet at the ogive. that is the first point of the bullet that will come in contact with the rifling.

It is much better to use the olgive as a reference point in all your reloading

Sounds like your rifle has potential

and you have a standard to shoot for with your reloads

reloading is great fun. I is really a simple process but like most things the devil is in the details. You can spend years and wear out several barrels learning all the tricks.

These forums are great informational tools. Just remember it all needs filtering.

If those are the Berger 230 gr match bullets and if you load them to fit inside a 3.600" magazine, you may not be able to measure them from the Base to the Ogive with that tool you are using because the front of the bullet bearing surface will be down about .100" inside the case neck.
Yea I'm thinking I now own a single shot with the 230

Maybe not, load some to maximum magazine length and try them. Also, the other Berger 230 gr bullet has a .100" shorter nose and still has a BC of over .700.

Sinclair makes a guage insert that is more accurately sized to fit your hornady/stoney point unit. You will get way longer measurements that may seem out of the ordinary when using that insert.

I don't have any 230 OTM but when I measure a 210VLDH bullet base to ogive with my Sinclair I get .680 with the insert that came with the guage I get .785 and mine are .299 for the hornady and .307 for the Sinclair.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.