Help picking the wife’s new elk rig

I assume you already have a suppressor that will work, in hand? That's half your budget and a long wait.
A 308, 30-06, 280AI or 7RM are all SAAMI chambers and ammo can be had. 280AI can also shoot 280 Remington right out of the box.

SAUM and 280 AI are virtually identical ballistically and I agree they aren't a big enough step up from the 6.5 PRC to be worth the jump. I would say 28 Nosler or 300 PRC or 30 Nosler would be my recommendation for a step up on the 6.5 PRC JMO.
For what it's worth I shoot a 280 AI with a 162 and it's an elk slayer. I also use a 28 Nosler and it knocks em deader lol.

Elcid asked for "So she's in the market for a lighter rifle, that has just a little more horsepower." The main thing mentioned was the current rifle was too heavy. So, it"s a new rifle and since that is the case, a cartidge with a LITTLE more hp.

Seems to me 7SAUM or a 280AI in a lighter format fits what the stated goal is.

I would find a Weathery Camila MKV and see how it fits her, it's been a game changer for most women I know!!

The deluxe version are chambered in 280AI. Seems like a good fit 24" barrel, rifle weight 6.5 lb. Should be able to find one for $2300

Elcid asked for "So she's in the market for a lighter rifle, that has just a little more horsepower." The main thing mentioned was the current rifle was too heavy. So, it"s a new rifle and since that is the case, a cartidge with a LITTLE more hp.

Seems to me 7SAUM or a 280AI in a lighter format fits what the stated goal is.

The deluxe version are chambered in 280AI. Seems like a good fit 24" barrel, rifle weight 6.5 lb. Should be able to find one for $2300

You hit the nail in the head, we need something she can haul easier and while we are at it we'd like to add some HP.

I looked at those Camila's and at first I was unimpressed. Kinda heavy, non threaded barrel, crap chamberings. But ohhh was I wrong, the Camila ultralight is absolutely a contender. 5.8 lbs, 24in barrel and probably a better LOP then her current setup. Hopefully I can find one in stock that she can get behind.

As far as chamberings, I've had all the same thoughts as all your comments and everyone will not agree in this thread. I do like the 7 SAUM better than the .280 AI, particularly in shorter barrels. However, good luck finding 7SAUM, so I would need to go custom. Not a bad idea for me, since I know what I like in a rifle, probably not feasible for her unless I can get her to try a bunch of different stocks (or build off the CA FFT stock since she likes those).

I truly do appreciate all the suggestions.

...at what range are you worried about how the 65prc is no good for elk....
I shoot 65284....plenty for how i hunt..on foot..in timber..open terrain........

I don't see a 280ai out better a 65....well..unless that 65 is a crdmore...
Has nothing to do with the cartridge, only the cash outlay for at best nothing really gained for 6.5 over any .284...just my opinion..

You hit the nail in the head, we need something she can haul easier and while we are at it we'd like to add some HP.

I looked at those Camila's and at first I was unimpressed. Kinda heavy, non threaded barrel, crap chamberings. But ohhh was I wrong, the Camila ultralight is absolutely a contender. 5.8 lbs, 24in barrel and probably a better LOP then her current setup. Hopefully I can find one in stock that she can get behind.

As far as chamberings, I've had all the same thoughts as all your comments and everyone will not agree in this thread. I do like the 7 SAUM better than the .280 AI, particularly in shorter barrels. However, good luck finding 7SAUM, so I would need to go custom. Not a bad idea for me, since I know what I like in a rifle, probably not feasible for her unless I can get her to try a bunch of different stocks (or build off the CA FFT stock since she likes those).

I truly do appreciate all the suggestions.
I would pick the 7 SAUM as well but the same issue as you stated. Thus my recommendation of the 280AI as that is easy to find and is listed and available at least from online sellers in the deluxe model. If you want a ready to go factory rifle at the price range you set that's a great choice.

Actually a lot to like about the Weatherby Camila MKV Deluxe or ultralite.. One of the shortest lift bolt rotation @53°, LOP 13" vs 13.5"-14.5", 6-6½lb rifle weight. For the budget you have set not sure you could match that with a used rifle with stock and action to those specs and a rebarrel to the 7 SAUM. $3k yes.

I would pick the 7 SAUM as well but the same issue as you stated. Thus my recommendation of the 280AI as that is easy to find and is listed and available at least from online sellers in the deluxe model. If you want a ready to go factory rifle at the price range you set that's a great choice.

Actually a lot to like about the Weatherby Camila MKV Deluxe or ultralite.. One of the shortest lift bolt rotation @53°, LOP 13" vs 13.5"-14.5", 6-6½lb rifle weight. For the budget you have set not sure you could match that with a used rifle with stock and action to those specs and a rebarrel to the 7 SAUM. $3k yes.
I've got a 280AI Custom by Karl Kampfeld that has only been shot for some minor barrel break in. Lightweight with McMillan Edge stock and barrel fluted, threaded with brake/thread protector so it's suppressor ready. I'd need a little more than your budget but an outstanding price for such a custom rifle. PM me if interested.

Friend killed his bull last year at 450 yards and his son killed a 340 bull at 600 yards a few days ago with 6.5 PRC and my Grandson killed his bull with 7-08 Rem. I think these are get calibers for light weight rifles.
There are lots of choices for light weight rifles these days. Keep the weight of your scope down also.

Put a pencil to it and a 6.5 shooting 156gr and a 7saum or 280ai shooting a 160gr are basically identical ballistically. So my advice since you already have 6.5 PRC components is buy a lighter 6.5 PRC

Put a pencil to it and a 6.5 shooting 156gr and a 7saum or 280ai shooting a 160gr are basically identical ballistically. So my advice since you already have 6.5 PRC components is buy a lighter 6.5 PRC
I'm a nerd, I've done the computer work, to the best of my abilities, on cartridges using Nosler bullets and Nosler load data. This is one of the reasons why I said I was leaning toward the 7 RM in the original post. It's also why we got into the 6.5 PRC in the first place, I'm a numbers guy and it seemed like a great cartridge, and I have zero doubt that it will kill an elk. I just haven't been able to get the desired results yet. I've tried three different powders (Retumbo, H1000 and Magnum) with 150 gr Nosler ABLR and tried factory Hornady Precision Hunter and haven't found a load with good velocity and accuracy. I just ordered some 124gr Hammer Hunters, and they may change my mind about the cartridge.

With that said, data is just data and it's not all encompassing, experience matters a lot and that's why I lean on proven results and opinions from y'all. Lines on a chart don't take into account sectional density, frontal area, ease of shooting...etc.

Friend killed his bull last year at 450 yards and his son killed a 340 bull at 600 yards a few days ago with 6.5 PRC and my Grandson killed his bull with 7-08 Rem. I think these are get calibers for light weight rifles.
There are lots of choices for light weight rifles these days. Keep the weight of your scope down also.

What bullet was your friend using in the 6.5? Handloads?

Here's some screenshots of my data. Again, these are all Nosler bullets from Nosler load data. A point of interest in the .280 AI load data; I used a Nosler AB instead of an ABLR, because the .280 and 7 SAUM were identical using ABLRs. I also used the AB in the 30-06 because that's the bullet I use for my deer gun.

Attachments

• Energy.PNG
    Energy.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Drop.PNG
    Drop.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 33