help needed for new spotting scope

william101

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a good all around spotting scope for hunting and shooting. I only have 150.00 to 200.00 dollars to work with. I know it is a very minimum amount unfortunately. Thanks for any help.

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a good all around spotting scope for hunting and shooting. I only have 150.00 to 200.00 dollars to work with. I know it is a very minimum amount unfortunately. Thanks for any help.

Your choices are very limited at that price point. For $249 shipped I would give this a look:

Leupold Wind River Sequoia 15-45x60mm Spotting Scope - Angled eyepiece Fully multi-coated optics - Long eye relief - Twist-up eyecup - Top-mounted focus dial - Durable rubber armor - Rugged & waterproof - Leupold Green Ring Limited Lifetime Warranty

Consider a set of binos instead. I have really enjoyed the Nikon Extreme EX porros at 12X. They make a 16X which would make a great moderate range spotter. They should retail around $150ish.

The resolution is superb in my bino and they are so much more comfy to use for glassing then a spotting scope. I feel they are better then low end spotters (never used the Leupold so can't say).

The best mid priced spotter I have used is the Nikon XL. I now have a Pentax 65ED spotter and that is superb glass allowing you to actually resolve that headgear through the trees. Not much more $$$ and so much more performance.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.