Spotting scope help

wilkup

I've avoided buying one of these for years now and have been satisfied with the Trijicon 10x42s I bought almost 10 years ago for my glassing needs.
I've recently had a change of heart. While I still doubt I'll ever do any backpack hunting with a spotter, I believe it'd be handy from the logging road for really working through some country.
I know the big German names are the top of the pile, but as long as I'm married and haven't won win the lottery I can't throw down that sort of cash on stuff without my wife trying to kill me.
I'm looking to stay <$1000 on a decent spotter. Doesn't need to be light since I don't see myself ever really hiking with it. Recommendations would be welcome.

Best option would be to go look at different ones, most LGS's should let you take it outside to get a real world look through the glass. Once you have what you like picked out you can shop around. the weight of a spotting scope and tripod in you pack isn't all that bad and you can get a closer look from just about anywhere. Just my .02.

That Athlon that doug mentioned above is legit. That's what I had my dad get as his situation is nearly identical to yours.

If your patient and willing to buy used, one of the older Leica APO or Kowa 663/664 spotters would certainly be my pick over anything vortex, athlon, Leupold, etc have to offer in the $1,000 neighborhood.

Also in that category of high value scopes that don't pop up all that often, the Nikon ED65 and the Pentax PF65 are great options.

I have had a Swift 15X60 model 841 for 45+ years and love it. I went to the Super Shoot for 30 years where you can look through every scope in any price range and sure the $1000+ ones were nice but not that much. You can find used Swift's on Ebay for $150 and I know you will like one?
Brush

Any tripod recommendations while we're at it? I'm leaning towards the Athlon after that video review and numerous other recommendations I've discovered online.