Help- my gun won’t group

Do you know if the receiver threads were opened at all when your action was trued? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that remage prefits would no longer work with a 700 that had been trued (with action threads opened up).

I'll have to go with the others and look for the threads being chased for trueing. Also if the bolt wouldn't work properly after trueing the action then I'd say that's the first area I'd look for the problem. My guess is you'll need a new action if you want to use the remage barrel.

This is a big issue with truing a Remage action and thinking you can just screw a remage barrel on. If those threads were touched at all, it's not going to work.

And considering you mentioned that they worked your action enough that the handle had to be removed and rewelded, that's a massive red-flag in my book that they did some serious metal removal that wasn't needed.

I'll try to be brief but I'll have to lay some back story. I love to build my own stuff. Problem 1 I understood. I bought a Remington 700 action. Had it trued. It was way off. Then the bolt wouldn't close. I had to have the bolt moved and tig welded on. Then I bought a custom McMillan stock. Game warden. Trigger tech trigger. Amazing. And I choose a remage barrel by carbon six. Chamber in 7mm rem mag. It's a sweet looking gun. I put a nightforce one it. It's a good scope.
I can't get it to group. I've tried all different powders and bullet weights. This has been going on 4 years now of trying to get the gun to shoot. I even got a new barrel from carbon six. Still doesn't shoot. Any thought or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have torqued everything to correct specs / inch pounds. There is a lot more to this story. this is the basics of it.
26" barrel.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. View attachment 499096View attachment 499097
Try moving your level a bit further forward, I just recently solve a similar problem with a friends 308, his scope rings were close the turrets we gave it a 1/4" more space and the group went from at 50 yrds like 12" ( or all over the paper) to 1" or less at 100 that was a Luepold scope not some cheap scope.

I'll try to be brief but I'll have to lay some back story. I love to build my own stuff. Problem 1 I understood. I bought a Remington 700 action. Had it trued. It was way off. Then the bolt wouldn't close. I had to have the bolt moved and tig welded on. Then I bought a custom McMillan stock. Game warden. Trigger tech trigger. Amazing. And I choose a remage barrel by carbon six. Chamber in 7mm rem mag. It's a sweet looking gun. I put a nightforce one it. It's a good scope.
I can't get it to group. I've tried all different powders and bullet weights. This has been going on 4 years now of trying to get the gun to shoot. I even got a new barrel from carbon six. Still doesn't shoot. Any thought or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have torqued everything to correct specs / inch pounds. There is a lot more to this story. this is the basics of it.
26" barrel.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. View attachment 499096View attachment 499097
Try different scope mounts. It may sound silly but this same thing happened to me. I purchased some warne scope mounts and it straightened out my problem.

I need to thank everyone for their comments. I took everything to heart and started over from the bottom up.
I think I have it figured out. I started with checking all the torques again. They were perfect. I took the stock off the action. That's where I noticed an almost polished look where the action was rubbing on the stock. When I loosened the action bolt, there was 1/4" play in the stock to the action. I didn't bed this as I remember the warranty stating any modifications, glass bedding, voids the lifetime warranty.
So a very cheap fix and try. I took my dremel out and made some channels in the stock. Bedded the action and recoil lug. I made the decision to take my night force off my gun that is shooting the same hole and put it on. I got a .9" group at 100 yards. 150 gr eldx 46 gr h4350. Zero load development. I'm so excited
Thank you everyone again who commented. I'll post a picture of the action before and after. I know this seems very simple. And it is. And cheap. Cheapest thing I did to the entire build.

3BF28042-F66A-4D6A-97EA-8BACDE27F02C.jpeg
91BA3C31-A39C-4418-9FF8-F30A333FC1BA.jpeg
9BD2C1E1-1E98-4FF6-8CE3-6BE2176590AF.jpeg
86F9A407-A3F3-401F-8239-25A9C11D8943.jpeg
BA9742BC-E8E6-4687-AE36-3EE9CC57CE58.jpeg
D5952212-0BC8-4BF0-A270-0A03406D7B7C.jpeg
B11AA4DC-0ED5-4A66-93C8-D4753EC84113.jpeg

Who did your action truing? Sounds like they did more damage than truing: bolt would not close, had to replace extractor, they cut off bolt and rewelded. Wow, doesn't sound like truing to me. I don't think things went well for the guy doing the truing. Send it back to them and have it replaced, or have them pay you for the replacement and work done.

Thanks, and I agree. There were a bunch of forums that the bolt, with an RR serial number wouldn't extract. This was due to the bolt being welded in the incorrect position. So I called a guy who has completed thousands of these, from Alaska. Dan? I have his card somewhere. I to take feeler gauges and give him some info on the bolt while he was on the phone. After that it worked great. I don't think the trueing was related to the bolt from other forums I have read. The bad part is I named my dog after this gun. Now I dislike my dog based solely on his name …..

Update. Gun shoots well! Last night, season ends today. Found a nice buck, 300 yards. Not the best window to shoot in and the gun preformed very well. Flawless. Gorgeous buck taken in higher elevation. 2 miles in 800 feet in elevation. I'll add in my boys buck from earlier in the day. Two bucks down, same day. Two point is my sons first buck. Looks like the image is too big and can't upload most of these pictures Oh well
Thanks again all.
IMG_6130.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 28