Help me score this speed goat please!!!

codyadams

What does this guy score? Can't decide if I want to shoot him. I'm thinkin he is mid 70's, 74-75, and I would like one over 80. SW wyoming for reference.

He has decent mass but doesn't look terribly long, and the diggers aren't outstanding. Wondering if someone with more experience can help me out, thanks all!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-17-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-17-35.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-13-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-13-51.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-14-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-14-09.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-18-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-12-18-18-22.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 175
Perhaps you may want to look for a bigger buck if you want an 80+, let this one grow another year. Hear they are quite plentiful in Wyoming. Good luck

I'm not seeing anything that would be saying that buck is in the 70's, to be 70's hes got to have a normal looking length with good cutters, to get into the 80's they have to have horns that make their head look odd and you have to think in your mind WTH is that, then you shoot. My field judging antelope is based on first sight, his horns will fit your hands perfectly while dragging him = 60's, dang that's a nice looking goat and is proportionate to their body and head, might try not dragging all the hair of one side = 70's, WTH is wrong with that antelope, packing him out over your shoulder = 80's gun)

I'm not seeing anything that would be saying that buck is in the 70's, to be 70's hes got to have a normal looking length with good cutters, to get into the 80's they have to have horns that make their head look odd and you have to think in your mind WTH is that, then you shoot......

Buck looks to me like mid 60's. A little better than my first one.

If you're a facebook person look at Pronghorn Guide Service. They have a web site too I think. Lots of top end heads that have the "odd" look bng is talking about.

They have a good DVD regarding scoring as well.

Good Luck!

Ya, I think I just got all giddy about the upper mass compared to most goats around here I have been seeing, a lot of the bigger ones in my area (the weird looking ones) have huge mass on the bottom, ridiculous length, great cutters, but are lighter on top, and usually really long. I just liked the mass on top on this guy in proportion to the rest of him, but I agree with you guys after another look, I don't think he would quite make 70". Too bad, cuz I know exactly where this guy hangs around, he is an alfalfa field goat.

Saw this one in western Nebraska and thinking low 70's maybe high 60's. If you look at his ears figure 6" and according to Mike Eastman's book you want 15" or taller to get 80" more like 16". I think guy is 12-13" tall. But I'm still learning so this is why I put this here to see what you all thought.

Please forgive me if I should have started a different thread.

You also need to look at cutter size and mass, yet I'm still learning.

I ended up killing this goat, and he scored 80-6/8 green, I think you may be underselling that goat a little...mine was only 14" long but had 7" base and 2nd quarter measurements, and good diggers

Attachments

• 20160913_104415.jpg
    20160913_104415.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 180
I ended up killing this goat, and he scored 80-6/8 green, I think you may be underselling that goat a little...mine was only 14" long but had 7" base and 2nd quarter measurements, and good diggers

Congrats on a mighty fine harvest ... enjoy some good eats. I only have doe tag for this year and can't go near them during bow season. Too may eyes to deal with and might have to wait during rifle season in a month. :Dgun)

My quick way to judge if they are good or not is the length of the horns compared to the length of their face. If the horns are longer than the face of the antelope then it is a good one. If the head is bigger than the horns look for a bigger one.

Steve

EM, that buck has good cutters! Some areas just don't grow 16"+ bucks. I really like the full curl-in tops, makes a nice mount.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.