Help me pick rings/bases for NXS.

SLIVER

Sorry to post another thread, but I want to get some opinions about which rings/bases to use.
I have pretty much settled on the NF NXS 5.5-22x50. My gun is a 300 WM, built off of a 700 action, and will have a #4 Bartlein on it. I like the scope low, but don't want to order the rings too low.
I plan to use the NF Xtreme duty light rings with a 20moa base, but am open to other suggestions.

#1 Would you go with the NF base, or another brand? Steel or Aluminum?
#2 Which height of NF rings am I going to need for this set up?
#3 I have heard good things about the Talley 1 piece, but don't know how to hand lap the rings, and I understand they don't offer the 20moa base. Would my scope have enough adjustment to get me to 1000 yards with no moa correction in the base, assuming I am shooting a 215gr bullet somewhere between 2900-2950 fps?

I would like to stay as light as possible, without giving up robust quality.
Thank you in advance. I appreciate your time and expertise.

))--SLIVER-->

Last edited:
I would stick with the NF rings and steel base. One does not have to lap NF rings, so one less thing to worry about. If I have time tonight, I'll measure my ring height and let you know.

"NF" and "light" are not usually used in the same sentence. They are as durable as anything out there, and that comes at the expense of weight. NF Extreme Duty rings will be fine on your rig. I don't have to carry a gun more than 1/4 a mile to any of my hunting spots, so weight is not an issue for me.

I would go with the 20 moa base. If memory serves me correctly, you can get to 1000 yards, but you are near the limit of your adjustment.

Sliver, In my opinion, another great option would be Seekins 20 moa base, & their rings! I have several sets of their rings, & I'm very impressed with them. One thing about their rings, is they don't have the typical large nut hanging out off the side. They use a more streamlined clamping system , which looks clean, & is very strong! Just my $.02 worth.
Idaho-45

Seekins rings are great, but their bases are the only ones that I absolutely had to bed to my receiver due to poor fit. IMO the best base for the dollar is a Leupold Mark 4 steel base. I also like "medium" height Mark 4 rings with the Flatline ops ring top level for the NXS on a Sendero contour. The Leupold medium height 30mm is lower than many manufacturers "low" height. Seekins or Vortex Precision Matched rings (rebranded Seekins) are excellent too. For Seekins the medium height will fit fine. Lows might be tight depending on which rail you choose. For the Vortex PMR, the Low height will work. For Nightforce rings get the Low height. You won't need an extra 20 MOA to get to 1000. You could easily get there with a 0 MOA base with your setup. Aluminum is plenty strong and will save you some weight.

Leupold 1-Piece Mark 4 Long Range Picatinny-Style Scope Base (8-40

Flatline Ops Leupold Mark 4 Articulating Scope Level 30mm Matte

Thanks for the input guys. I often hike many miles when hunting, so I want to go light without sacrificing durability. I will look into the Seekins, as well as the MK4 base. I am not opposed to going NF for the whole package, but as mentioned, they are usually on the heaviest end of the spectrum.
scrambler, that measurement would be awesome.

Thanks.
))--SLIVER-->

Check out Near Manufacturing no need to lap either.

I really like their 1 piece alpha hunter mount. His rails are real nice as well. You can send Richard an e-mail and he will set you up with a 20 MOA rail and rings as well.

Near Manufacturing - Rifle Scope Bases

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Thanks for the input guys. I often hike many miles when hunting, so I want to go light without sacrificing durability. I will look into the Seekins, as well as the MK4 base. I am not opposed to going NF for the whole package, but as mentioned, they are usually on the heaviest end of the spectrum.
scrambler, that measurement would be awesome.

Thanks.
))--SLIVER-->

1.125 for the NF 30mm ring height.

NF makes Extreme Duty Ultra light rings (also make steel rings). I have not seen any published weight information on the aluminum rings from Seekins, NF, Badger, Burris or others when I was researching 30mm and 34mm rings recently. What is the basis for saying one mfr aluminum rings are lighter/ heavier than another?

(Granted NF scopes tend to run on the heavy side of median weight for similar class scopes)

I havent used NF rings or base. As long as you use a one piece piccatany style to support the action you woul be better off.
I shoot 185gr. out of my 300 with out a 20 moa base and hit a 1000 yard donger all day long with my Sheperds scope at about 2850 so your heaver bullet with better BC I would guess should do it better.

I havent used NF rings or base. As long as you use a one piece piccatany style to support the action you would be better off.
I shoot 185gr. out of my 300 with out a 20 moa base and hit a 1000 yard donger all day long with my Sheperds scope at about 2850fps. so your heaver bullet with better BC I would guess should do it better. Do to my budget I have used Weaver aluminum rings with 40 to 60 rounds each day I put the rifle on the bench and I havnt had an issue. If I get to go into competition where weight matters less and covering every possible source of error I will use iron.

I use EGW 20 moa Picatinney rail with UTG quick detach Picatinney low profile rings on my M70 Win #4 contour Hart barrel. I shoot 200gr Accubond 2917 FPS.
Reasonably priced too. I'm happy with the setup,I can take my NF NXS 5.5x22x50 off and use it on my other guns with Picatinny rails with the quick detach rings.

5 shot 100 HD group with 4 sight in rounds

image.jpg

Thank you for that measurement, and thanks for the input on this thread guys.

))--SLIVER-->

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.