Help me decide on my next scope

brant89

I'm currently building a .300 Win Mag to be my exclusive long-range, big game rifle for up to 1000yd hunting (someday). My target weight is under 12lbs with a 26" light varmint barrel, muzzle brake, and HS precision M24 stock (heavy stock but I'm very comfortable behind one). I have kind of narrowed it down to three options:

Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44, Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP, or possibly a Viper PST 4-16x44.

I am kind of leaning towards the HS-T because it is 4oz lighter than the PST, but the HS LR has some features that seem like they would be pretty beneficial. I like the idea of 1/2 MOA clicks and being able to reach 1000yds in one revolution, and the capped wind age turret is a plus for me as I typically hold for wind, but the reticle is pretty busy and I'm concerned about being able to see the crosshairs on low magnification in field conditions. I currently own two PST 6-24x50's and like them but I wanted to cut a little weight. I have never used a FFP scope before so looking for some input from those of you who use them in the field.

I'm currently building a .300 Win Mag to be my exclusive long-range, big game rifle for up to 1000yd hunting (someday). My target weight is under 12lbs with a 26" light varmint barrel, muzzle brake, and HS precision M24 stock (heavy stock but I'm very comfortable behind one). I have kind of narrowed it down to three options:

Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44, Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP, or possibly a Viper PST 4-16x44.

I am kind of leaning towards the HS-T because it is 4oz lighter than the PST, but the HS LR has some features that seem like they would be pretty beneficial. I like the idea of 1/2 MOA clicks and being able to reach 1000yds in one revolution, and the capped wind age turret is a plus for me as I typically hold for wind, but the reticle is pretty busy and I'm concerned about being able to see the crosshairs on low magnification in field conditions. I currently own two PST 6-24x50's and like them but I wanted to cut a little weight. I have never used a FFP scope before so looking for some input from those of you who use them in the field.

My personal choice out of the 3 would be the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP. All ny scopes are SFP except for my last 2 purchases (Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP and SWFA 5-20x50 HD FFP) and enjoying my transition.

If you like the Vortex line, you might want to consider the Veracity and SWFA scopes too, they are a lot of scopes for the money.

Good luck.

Ed

Thanks for the input. I got a chance to look through the HS LR this weekend at Cabela's, but only inside the store. I may have to make another trip and take it outside to get a better idea of what it would be like in the field. Are your scopes 1/2MOA or 1/4MOA clicks? I would think that 1/2MOA should be plenty fine enough adjustment for deer/elk sized game out to 1000yds.

Some people have complained about the clarity of the 4-16x offering in the PST model. So you might want to take a hard look at them.

Have you considered the Nightforce SHV line? I put a 3-10x SHV on my 300 Win Mag. But I plan to only take shots within 600 yds.

I did consider the NF briefly, but it's twice the cost and 50% heavier than the others. Now that you mention the clarity thing I do recall hearing that before so I will definitely do some serious evaluation of the scope outdoors before I buy it. Thanks for reminding me.

brant89,

Since some have gone away from the three scopes you started with, I will chime in. So far I have compared my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 with many scopes at the range. The only brand that matches the glass is the Nightforce. Not even Swarovski or Zeiss have been better. Others who have looked through them agreed. With the quality of glass of this model perhaps the new Bushnell tacticals would be very good.

I did consider the NF briefly, but it's twice the cost and 50% heavier than the others. Now that you mention the clarity thing I do recall hearing that before so I will definitely do some serious evaluation of the scope outdoors before I buy it. Thanks for reminding me.

Check out the nightforce shv f1. It's a lot more scope than the vortex for not much more money. It's ffp. I just bought one and I don't think I can go back to a second focal plane scope..

I had my first long range rifle built last year and was talked into putting a FFP scope on it. One hunting season was all I needed to realize FFP is not for me. For the exact reason you said
"I'm concerned about being able to see the crosshairs on low magnification in field conditions."
I have already switched it out for a Leupold VX6 and love it I don't know what you are looking to spend but I think they are a great glass for the money.

I had my first long range rifle built last year and was talked into putting a FFP scope on it. One hunting season was all I needed to realize FFP is not for me. For the exact reason you said
"I'm concerned about being able to see the crosshairs on low magnification in field conditions."
I have already switched it out for a Leupold VX6 and love it I don't know what you are looking to spend but I think they are a great glass for the money.

Not all FFP scopes and reticles are created equal. I don't have any issues with my Burris Veracity 4-20x50 Burris FFP or SWFA 5-20x50 HD FFP.

[ame]https://youtu.be/-T86hAJ7BfQ?t=70[/ame]

... unlike Sightron's FFP ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/9Gl3d0pxkvI?t=3[/ame]

Having said that, I also know members here that don't have any issues with the above Sightron scope.

I still think the original question.
"low magnification in field conditions"
Your SWFA still would not meet my needs in the video if at a lower power you would have put the reticle in the brown animal like colors above the target it would be very hard the see the reticle.

The Bushnell offerings have some great features (especially the Elite Long Range Hunter) but most of them are only available in Mil and the ones that are available in MOA seem to be capped with no zero stop. I'm actually getting a little more interested in the Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50. Does it have a capped windage turret? It looks like it does but it's a little hard to tell from the pictures. It is a little heavier than I wanted but it looks like it has all the other features I would want. How is the reticle visibility at low magnification?

I still think the original question.
"low magnification in field conditions"
Your SWFA still would not meet my needs in the video if at a lower power you would have put the reticle in the brown animal like colors above the target it would be very hard the see the reticle.

Bear in mind your looking through another series of lenses from the video; unless you've seen through it directly any videos or pictures, won't do you any justice.

Below is my last year's harvest (425 yards with 215 Berger off .300 WSM).

1107151306_zpsetrcjz1i.jpg

I don't have a brown animal like color but below is my neighbor across the street brown fence ~ 35 yards @5X from my dining room table.

5X%20FFP%201%20of%202_zpswzbbefqe.jpg

5X%20FFP%202%20of%202_zpsdeah9jfu.jpg

Below is 673 yards ...

5X%20FFP%203%20of%203_zpsqey12gua.jpg

I don't have the best camera but I assure you, I don't have problem seeing the target ... and my eyes are not the greatest. :D

The reticle on the Burris Veracity is just as good as it was designed for varminting.

P6052446_zpseb8eda39.jpg

It boils down to personal preference, what might work for me for my intended purpose, might not very well work for you.

I agree wholeheartedly what works for you may not work for me.:). Here in Wisconsin I shoot a lot of my deer running at 100 yards or so while doing drives or deer that have been kicked up by other hunters . So to me low power is 3 or 4 x. Out west I have shot deer and elk at 300+ yards and the last elk I shot was at 50 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.