Help me decide on scope/reticle

BoomFlop

So my definition of long range is much different than most on here, however I would like to practice out to 300 yards.

I have a Remington Police LTR in both 223 and 308. The 223 has a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with 4A reticle and is my calling coyote rifle. I am looking to scope the 308 now. Do I go with the same scope and just sight in at the distance I want to practice at and re zero for hunting? Do I get it with a BRH reticle? Or do I go to the 4-12x50 with Ballistic Turret?

Thanks everyone!

Steve

For that distance you could use the same scope yes. How much are you looking to spend? Lots of quility scope that will get the job done at 300 yards. I run a 2.5-10 Nikon on my 300blk and I shoot that to 300. Also on my 6.5 grendel. Another option is 3-15 gives a bit more zoom but doesn't give up much on the bottom.
As for your zero. If you get a decent scope I would still zero at 100 and just dial up for your shots the. Return to zero when done.

I would prefer to stay with Swarovski Z3 line or Leupold VX3i to 5HD price points. Really only looking at those two brands. Maybe Vortex, but not sold on those.

Thanks

i have a swaro z5 5-25 with brh reticle. i think that one would be ideal for what you are describing. i have two, and i find them excellent. the lighter reticle might be hard to see at some times

Shane

That is what concerns me with the reticle.

Thanks all
Steve
if you decide to buy a z5, let me know. i have been considering selling one of mine since it sits in the safe. i use the other on my savage 22-250 with great results. swaro glass is very nice indeed.

BoomFlop, my wife has the Z3 4-12x50 BT on her Cooper 250 Savage AI. It is sighted in at 100m and the three rings are set at 200, 300 and 400m. She has shot hares with it at various ranges out to 330m just by dialing. They have great glass and the 50mm is great in low light.If it were me this would be the scope I would choose unless you want to go to the Z5.

I only ever use Burris Signature Zee rings these days so I can't help with the Talley lows. My wife's scope is mounted in medium SZ rings and there is a little less than 3/32" of clearance with the barrel.

So my definition of long range is much different than most on here, however I would like to practice out to 300 yards.

I have a Remington Police LTR in both 223 and 308. The 223 has a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with 4A reticle and is my calling coyote rifle. I am looking to scope the 308 now. Do I go with the same scope and just sight in at the distance I want to practice at and re zero for hunting? Do I get it with a BRH reticle? Or do I go to the 4-12x50 with Ballistic Turret?

Thanks everyone!

Steve
I have a 4x12x44 on my .308 highly recommend the 12 power!

Leupolds with the cds are pretty sweet - the VX3I in 4.5-14 with either a 40 or 50mm objective would be my vote. I would get the 30mm tube with side paralax adjustment. I have a 3-15x56 VX5HD (2 of them actually) and I love them.

The vx6 in 2-12 might fit the bill for you too. Some sort of an exposed turret is nice so you can zero at 100 (or whatever you want for hunting) and then dial up to 300 for target work.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.