help me choose my caliber

grit

I'm asking Kirby to build me a rifle. I want a versatile big game rig. I've chosen a #6 lilja and a manners thumbhole (gat). I have narrowed the choices to the 7wsm or a 338rum or 338edge shooting 168's and 300's respectively. The 7 appeals to me for the efficiency. The 338's appeal to me for the extended range. However, the 338's advantage doesn't really show until past practical accuracy ranges. Say 3/4+ moa at 1200+?

I'd like opinions.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who is familiar with the manners gat.

Thanks

hello iam in Utah aswell but for your question i have the 338RUM and love it but if i was having Kirby build one the 338 edge is the way to go just neck out 300RUM brass and your running but that is if you reload if not the 338RUM if you do then the diff in performance go with the edge because the cost of the rifle will probably not change just my 2 cents
sid

grit,
thats a tuff question , but i'd pick the one your going to shoot more.
you can get another one built down the road. your call,
regards jjmp

Grit iam over here in Holladay / Sandy is where i live and work also shoot trap, skeet, 5 stand and rifles at the gun club above the gravel quarry they have a fairly nice 100yd rifle range but i am looking at doing that Spirit Ridge rifle golf up the way and going to shawn carlocks long range school this spring anyone else here been to shawn's school??

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.