Help I need advice am I making the wrong load rifle combo discussion?

Baboltin

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I'm going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I'm just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What's your experience?

I shoot a Fierce in 28 Nosler with a 1:9 twist rate as well

In terms of bullet stability, higher velocity should give you more stability not less. Lighter bullets equate to higher velocities so I think you are on the right track.

I've heard of people having issues with lead cup/core bullets coming apart when pushed to high velocities with a fast twist rate barrel. From my reading, mono metal bullets should not be as likely to come apart as lead cup/core bullets in high twist rate barrels coupled with high velocities.

What is the range you are comfortable shooting or need to be comfortable with for this hunt?

I'm currently developing ~140 grain mono metal loads for my 28 Nosler for elk/deer hunts and I don't have any concerns about knock down energy.. I'm currently getting around 3450 fps muzzle velocity but I'm not done with load development yet. The latest powder I've tried is H4831SC and it's hitting .5 MOA groups out to 200 yards so far.

I haven't hunted sheep but I would think your rifle/caliber choice would be fine with the right loads.

I shoot a Fierce in 28 Nosler with a 1:9 twist rate as well

In terms of bullet stability, higher velocity should give you more stability not less. Lighter bullets equate to higher velocities so I think you are on the right track.

I've heard of people having issues with lead cup/core bullets coming apart when pushed to high velocities with a fast twist rate barrel. From my reading, mono metal bullets should not be as likely to come apart as lead cup/core bullets in high twist rate barrels coupled with high velocities.

What is the range you are comfortable shooting or need to be comfortable with for this hunt?

I'm currently developing ~140 grain mono metal loads for my 28 Nosler for elk/deer hunts and I don't have any concerns about knock down energy.. I'm currently getting around 3450 fps muzzle velocity but I'm not done with load development yet. The latest powder I've tried is H4831SC and it's hitting .5 MOA groups out to 200 yards so far.

I haven't hunted sheep but I would think your rifle/caliber choice would be fine with the right loads.
Hey thank you for the advice makes me feel better about my choice. 500-600 yards would be ideally to feel comfortable shooting behind the rifle.

i Shoot lightweight bullets in my 7 short mag exclusively and love them . stability has never been as issue and over stabilization well I have never personally seen it. I will be using my 7mmWSM for sheep hunt in the brooks range with 131 gr hammer hunter . I don't anticipate any issues !
Nice when are you going ? Good luck! What is your fps for that set up ?

Your friend is in error about stability. Which others have covered.

I ran 150's out of my warbird and the bullets would blow up on impact because of the 3700 fps velocity. I now run a 212-215 grain going 3120 and it's perfect! It bucks the wind better with the superior BC's from the heavies. On sheep lots of good options. Of you are taking game at distance what you have is perfect, just practice shooting at all sorts of angles and weird body positions. Off sticks etc.. that's the key. Any gun will do with good shot placement, no matter the caliber. Get a good trainer or set up paper targets throughout the house or yard and dry fire it up. I got an air rifle and shoot small targets , perfect practice

Your friend is in error about stability. Which others have covered.

I ran 150's out of my warbird and the bullets would blow up on impact because of the 3700 fps velocity. I now run a 212-215 grain going 3120 and it's perfect! It bucks the wind better with the superior BC's from the heavies. On sheep lots of good options. Of you are taking game at distance what you have is perfect, just practice shooting at all sorts of angles and weird body positions. Off sticks etc.. that's the key. Any gun will do with good shot placement, no matter the caliber. Get a good trainer or set up paper targets throughout the house or yard and dry fire it up. I got an air rifle and shoot small targets , perfect practice
Always interested in that warbird , I might get around to building one someday but I would rather build the 7mm version I think it's a firebird or fire hawk?

Always interested in that warbird , I might get around to building one someday but I would rather build the 7mm version I think it's a firebird or fire hawk?
Fireball maybe? Not sure.. John Lazzeroni always like the Warbird. He called it the MSM , meat seeking missile.

I love it.... good luck on the sheep.