HELP for Nikon on Elk

shinjin

Two years ago I bought a NIB Nikon Monarch 4-16, BDC, Side focus. Had it on a 243 and it shot fine, held groups and adjusted perfectly.

Just swapped it to a ruger No.1, 7 rem mag and problems started. Sighting in it started shooting Win 170 grainers (I think, not much sleep,but they are heavy). a

At 25 yards it shot a 3/4 inch group. Took to 100 yards and first try was a 1 inch, 3 shot group. THEN - it shot a 4 inch 3 shot group. Then a 1 inch for 2 shots and threw a flyer 9 inches. Two more groups like that with barrel cooling down between groups and a 50 degree low humidity atmo situation. Thinking it might be me I let another shooter try.

Rifle did the same for him??

Previously this rifle had a Leupold VXII 3-9 and shot consistent1 inch 100 yard groups with 150 grainers. I have heard of liking a certain load but not taking a disliking to it in the middle of a string!

HELP! I leave in two weeks!

Have you double checked the bases ? Sometimes they will bind up and feel tight until you shoot and then jar loose. May find a base screw that needs another 1/2 turn or so.

4 and 9 inch flyers? That's too much for a base problem. Sounds like a stock issue to me, but I would not rule out ammo, a dirty barrel or the scope. I'm not familiar with the #1. Does it care how the forearm stock is installed? What about the rear stock? I guess I would tighten all screws.

I would clean the barrel down to metal - alternating powder and copper solvents. I would clean and inspect the action too and check all screws.

Then I would properly torque the base screws, put the Leupold scope back on, foul the barrel and check group size. Use known good ammo for that rifle. Let the barrel cool a bit between shots. If ok, I would then install the Nikon and check group size.

That should isolate the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.