help! nikon 6x18x40sf

clemens

Need little help or insight to this scope. It is on a savage mod 12 22-250. Has fine cross hairs with small dot and target turrets, with1/8 min adj.
I am new to the large turret knobs with lines and numbers so trying to find out just how the adjustments really work on this scope, Am I needing to get ballistics program for this caliber and scope combo? Or make drop tables that will work with the markings on the turrets. Nikons spot on web site really don't tell me much. anyone who has this scope who could help or has insight would be most helpfull. Thanks for the info. Hopefully don't sound to dumb. lol Happy shooting :D

get your rifle sighted in dead nuts at 100 yrds, then loosen the set screws on the turrets, set them to 0 and tighten the set screws. depending on ammo 200 yrdsa will be 10-12 clicks up 300 will be 19-21 clicks up 400 yrds will be about 34-36 clicks up, and i wouldnt worry to much about windage unless your shooting further or you have some killer wind drifts. but hornady.com has a calculator in there ballistics resource that will put you in the ball park. just remember that just because it says the bullet drops 6 inches at a given distance, you do not need anywhere near that much come up in moa to compensate.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.