Help FM Bushnell Elite DMRII 3.5-21 owners

DartonJager

I need some input from owners of Bushnell Elite DMRii 3.5-21×50mm scope with the ILLUMINATED FFP G3 reticle who have used it often enough hunting big game such as deer antelope and elk to say the FFP G3 illuminated reticle will work well enough at the minimum 3.5 power in the lowest light conditions I will encounter hunting first and last light of mornings and evening's ESPECIALLY if hunting in heavy woods cover, and using it in its higher power settings if in more open country.

I have been avoiding FFP scopesfor hunting because of the reticle being to small to see for accurate on game shot placement in lowest light conditions especially if hunting in heavy cover or heavy timber as I often do.
Some time ago I gave several FFP scopes look through in low light conditions and found the reticles low light performance unacceptable for shots on large game like deer
But those were all non-illuminated reticles and I have read more than a few sterling reviews of the illuminated Bushnell G3 reticle's performance on game at its lowest power settings but would GREATLY APPRECIATE if those who own 3.5-21×50mm DMRii's with an illuminated G3 reticle would give me thier actual in the field experiences of the Illuminated G3 reticle at 3.5 power in low light conditions especially while hunting in heavy cover and low light as well as higher power settings of at least 12-15 power in low light but more open country
Greatest of thanks,
Art

Last edited:
I have the very same concerns as you and also hunt in an area where most of my shots are inside the woods; although some will be across cut overs and longer range. I actually avoided using my FFP scoped rifles whenever I was hunting inside the woods. But I tested out a FFP scope with illuminated reticle in the woods this season and could tell right away that it will work very well for what you are asking it to do. Mine is a Burris XTR II with an illuminated reticle that is really easy to see against dark backgrounds.

I do have a couple of Bushnells with the G3 Reticle and I love the G3, but after looking at the illuminated Burris reticle in the woods, I really wish that both of my Bushnell G3's were illuminated like yours is. You have the right tool for close and far.

But about 12-15X in low light--what enables you to see best in low light is having the largest "exit pupil" that you can get on the particular scope you are using. As a general rule, you begin to decrease that exit pupil as soon as you increase your magnification above 6X. You may be able to still see well in low light at 8 or 9X, but as you go higher, your light gathering and ability to make out details of your target in low light decreases.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.