Help Decide Which 'Lope Gun To Use!

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date

Which Gun/Bullet to Use for this year's pronghorn hunt?

• 270WSM / 130gn GMX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7mm-08 / 140gn Berger VLDH

• .308 / 150gn Hornady GMX

• Other

• Total voters
Well, the Tikka T3 in .308 did the job in getting my doe harvested. The 150gn GMX performed perfectly at 372 yards. Thanks for all the input.
2019 Lope.JPG

You're going to be fine with any of those rifles. All of them will poke a good hole in an antelope out to 500 yards pretty easily if you can do your part. If you can't get within 500 yards of your antelope you need to think more about your hunting skills and less about which rifle to bring. LOL.

Hey All,
I thought I'd have some fun and put a poll out there as to opinions on which gun I should be taking on this year's pronghorn hunt. Last year, my Tikka T3 Lite in 270WSM (130gn Hornady GMX) got its first game, which was does in both early and late seasons, so of course it's a strong candidate. I also have certified handloads for both Ruger American in 7mm-08 (140gn Berger VLDH) and Tikka T3 Lite in .308 (150gn Hornady GMX).
cheers, mike:eek:
I would go with "other" currently. I have been using a .257 WBY, 100 gr Sierra GameKing in a Model 56 Cooper. I have used a 6.5x284 and a .270 successfully in the past. All your choices are good ones! Enjoy your hunt!

I'm going to go Other .
After my Open Heart Surgery I had it in my mind to build some 338 's I didnt have Antelope on my mind just long range Elk and Deer . This summer I drew a Antelope tag now I'm going to use the new build . 338 Edge with a 30 " Proof and 300 gr Bergers E.H at 2884 fps.
I can see this is way over kill but it's ready to go . I'm just hoping for a 1000 yrd. shot or more . I have been shooting all summer out past that .
That 270 wsm has a nice ring to it ! Hmm

Rum Man

I'm going to go Other .
After my Open Heart Surgery I had it in my mind to build some 338 's I didnt have Antelope on my mind just long range Elk and Deer . This summer I drew a Antelope tag now I'm going to use the new build . 338 Edge with a 30 " Proof and 300 gr Bergers E.H at 2884 fps.
I can see this is way over kill but it's ready to go . I'm just hoping for a 1000 yrd. shot or more . I have been shooting all summer out past that .
That 270 wsm has a nice ring to it ! Hmm

Rum Man

Until you have a 338 of some sort, you don't realize how wide ranging this platform can be!

Until you have a 338 of some sort, you don't realize how wide ranging this platform can be!
I agree with you 100% !
I gathered parts from members here and some reloading components and went to work on them ! It's very rewarding to take it from parts to shooting in the same hole!
You have me thinking more about a nice tricked out 300 Rum !

Rum Man

I'm on the 308 wagon

As you can see above, I completely agree. I am also taking the .308 out in early Dec for the late hunt. I am loading the 150gn GMX and Federal Fusion with 46.2gn of Varget. They shoot great but I just noticed some pretty flat primers. No other sign of pressure, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.