Help choosing between calibers

AZ308

Hi,
My first post here, thanks in advance for any constructive feedback!

I am about to get a new bolt action hunting rifle, it is a Remington 700 Mountain SS.
I have chosen to go with this rifle because, I like Remington and it is only 6.5lb.

I am stumped however on choosing between .308 Win and 30-06 Sprg.

Note, I'll also have a more "tactical" oriented precision rifle in .308 Win and I am tempted to have the Mountain SS hunting rifle in .308 as well to keep ammunition consistent and affordable.

Also note, I am planning to use the Mountain SS for Elk.

The more research I do it seems that the .308 begins to lag behind after 250yds compared to the '06 good out to 350-400 yds on Elk. Any thoughts on this?

I am not necessarily trying to go for distance as much as I don't want to be caught short if the necessity every arrises.

So, the question: With two rifles, one "tactical" target rifle in .308 and then a dedicated hunting rifle, should the hunting rifle be in .308 as well or 30-06?

Not new to shooting but new to hunting and I want my hunting rifle to be as versatile as possible.

Thanks!
Brian

Also note, I am planning to use the Mountain SS for Elk.

Plenty of elk have been harvested with the 308 and I'm betting many times more with the -06....for a reason.

An elk is a huge animal compared to a deer. If you have the choice select a cartridge you are comfortable with while also considering the size of game you intent to harvest.

If this was my choice, I would select the -06 even with a light gun and not look back. I don't notice recoil when hunting anyway!

Welcome to LRH.

308s are 100'sec or so slower than the 3006. Do you really think the elk cares? Use the right bullet, put it in its proper place and either will do fine. I'm a 308 fan and have no issues with attempting 600 yards with any western big game. Minus brown bears of the far north west. 200 grain Sierra game kings are poison on elk at 308 velocities.

Welcome to LRH.com

I'm gonna start by saying that I've never done an elk with any caliber. But as far as a 308 vs 30-06 I'm a big 308 fan. The 06 has proven itself for 100 years and I'll never insult it but a 308 has an unnoticeable performance decrease and a lot more plinking ammo. And just a lot of fun to shoot. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.