Choosing to hunt with 3 calibers

Blaketh

I need some help on a decision. I have 3 guns never fired with 1 optic. The other 2 optics will be here whenever Liberty gets their backorder filled, not sure when. I have a cooper 257 bee, a seeking havak 2 28 nosler, and a cooper 300 win mag. I have not mounted the vortex razor amg yet and I have 2 more ordered. I will be hunting white tail soon and need help making a decision on hunting out to roughly 400 yards max. Kinda leaning towards the 257 bee, its flat and will take them down and not much over kill like the other 2. Any help in my decision will be appreciated. On all 3 I plan to use a bonded bullet like a accubond or scirocco 2 if I can get them to shoot. Feel free to recommend bullets as well.

Any of those should work, as well as both the bullets mentioned.

Life is hard with so many good choices. I have bullets that I prefer, and cartridges I prefer. This close to the season adding more good choices to the mix, only further confuses things.

Good Luck.

3 rifles makes it too complicated for me! All will work nicely, choose the one you have the most confidence in! My only bullet recommendation would be to "NOT" choose a bullet that is known for it's extreme expansion properties, unless.....you will never take a raking shot, or you can guarantee your bullet placement will put the bullet path through a narrow section of soft tissue between bullet entry and the and vitals. Also, none of the cartridges you mentioned were are any where near "overkill"! If you want to minimize tissue damage and bloodshot meat....go with the lowest velocity cartridge of your three choices, and use a bonded controlled expansion bullet or a mono bullet. memtb

For whitetail, the 257 Weatherby would be the best choice. The other two would get the job done, but have much more recoil and muzzle blast than needed for whitetail.

In fact, probably one of the best cartridges for your application would be a 25-06. Easy and flat shooting, with plenty of knock-down power for a whitetail. The 257Wthby is a 25-06 on steriods.

Last edited:
I agree, a 257Bee is perfect medicine for Whitetail deer using a 115gr Partition or 110gr Accubond. Even a 115gr Berger if shots will be longer, but I wouldn't use one inside of 300. I found them too explosive outta my 25-06, so a Bee is gonna be worse.
Nice choice in rifles (Cooper) by the way.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.