Help a Gal new to reloading and LR shooting

EVERYBODY! Help this person just starting out in metallic reloading! She has some experience in shotgun reloading and is moving forward to metallic reloading!
Shotgun reloading is actually more difficult if you are working to achieve consistant patterns and velocities. Loading precision metallic cartridges have more steps, but less variables once brass is prepped. It is easier to achieve superior results to factory normally. Is a little scarier simply due to the higher pressures involved. Shouldnt be it is easier than shotgun. If she has been loading shotshells she definately has a leg up.

Ok, so please forgive my newness and lack of knowledge. I have been lurking on this site for a long time and I have enjoyed gleaning information from so many of you. Long time waterfowler here, turned into a rifle hunter the last few years. I just finished an amazing backcountry elk hunt in the Washakie Wilderness in Wyoming that took everything I had. I was lucky enough to tag a 6x6 at 440 yards with a customized Tikka T3 in 270 WSM using a 150 grain ABLR. Amazing hunt.. and has me pining for more.

So when I got home, I ordered a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. I've shot one a few times and loved it. I intend to reload the ammo, but I am a total novice. I have reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds of shotgun, but this rifle stuff is completely different. I want to make sure I buy the right reloading gear off the bat, so I am not having to buy again down the road. Any recommendations on a reloading press and the associated accoutrements are much appreciated. I figure many of you have determined what works and what doesn't at this point. So please, share a list of Gear I need to purchase. This will be my winter project until my rifle arrives in early spring. I appreciate it! Best, V

P.S. Photos are from my most recent elk hunt! Thanks for looking and any advice you can give.
View attachment 155294 View attachment 155290 View attachment 155291 View attachment 155292

Plenty others have already posted enough good suggestions for equipment so I won't pile on there. My advice, and several have already stated it, is I recommend getting to know someone local who can walk you through the basic steps at least. Another way to watch, and this may sound controversial to some, is YouTube. There are a few channels out there with good reloading info and product descriptions/reviews. A couple that come to mind are Johnnys Reloading Bench and Ultimate Reloader. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT watch them to replicate their loadings, but you can watch them to get an idea of the process. Might help you get an idea of what pieces are vital for reloading. Read some reloading manuals. Take your time and NEVER take a short cut. Stick to book loads. Measure everything. The old carpenters adage of measure twice cut once is an understatement with reloading. To get good consistent accuracy, performance, and most importantly safety you need to be very meticulous at each step. I will also state that it's darn addicting so be prepared to have fun and eventually spend more than you thought you would. Best of luck and I hope we get to see some grouping pics from you in the near future.

I see a lot of great suggestions here already. Not sure it this has been brought up. I would recommend you getting a ballistic app for your phone. I use Shooter, my son uses Applied Ballistics and there are many other good ones. You could create "test" rifle to start learning how to use it.

Welcome to the club , it's pretty cool to reach out there and touch something !

Leave any liberal ideas you got from that area before you move :)
No issues there. I have lived all over the US with my career. I prefer the politics of the south and the west. Just suits me better. I travel to Wyoming a few times a year and it has been my favorite place of all the states I have spent time in.

One tool that I would recommend that I've not seen already stated is a stuck case removal tool . I have the rcbs version. I've only had to use it twice but both times it saved the day. As previously mentioned get bullet manufacturers manuals and read them . Ask lots of questions if you're unsure. But seeing as you've been load shotshells you'll do just fine. I went from metallic ammo to shotshells and was scared to death lol. Not really but they definitely are different. Great pics by the way

I have found Sam Millard's "Precision Rifle Load Development" series of YouTube videos to be one of the best that I have seen on the web. He takes you through it step by step, with a thorough explanation of why he does what he does, and then watch him shoot the ammo as he develops the load. You'll get to see the development progress. He is very precise, with complete explanations for what he is doing and why. You'll find him on YouTube under Panhandle Precision, and also a web page under the same name.

Regards

Ok, so please forgive my newness and lack of knowledge. I have been lurking on this site for a long time and I have enjoyed gleaning information from so many of you. Long time waterfowler here, turned into a rifle hunter the last few years. I just finished an amazing backcountry elk hunt in the Washakie Wilderness in Wyoming that took everything I had. I was lucky enough to tag a 6x6 at 440 yards with a customized Tikka T3 in 270 WSM using a 150 grain ABLR. Amazing hunt.. and has me pining for more.

So when I got home, I ordered a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. I've shot one a few times and loved it. I intend to reload the ammo, but I am a total novice. I have reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds of shotgun, but this rifle stuff is completely different. I want to make sure I buy the right reloading gear off the bat, so I am not having to buy again down the road. Any recommendations on a reloading press and the associated accoutrements are much appreciated. I figure many of you have determined what works and what doesn't at this point. So please, share a list of Gear I need to purchase. This will be my winter project until my rifle arrives in early spring. I appreciate it! Best, V

P.S. Photos are from my most recent elk hunt! Thanks for looking and any advice you can give.
View attachment 155294 View attachment 155290 View attachment 155291 View attachment 155292[/QU
Beautiful photos, chica. And congratulations on your trophy. The combination of the two should have you permanently addicted to elk hunting in the high country.
I think you will get a lot of very good advice from real experts on this website.

Buy the complete kit that includes press, scales, handbook, funnel,pocket cleanner and ect. You will save a lot of money versus piece mealing it all together. Buy Lock n Loads for your dies. There is a lot of load data at your fingertips on the web. Speer, Nosler and Hodgedon to name a few. Don't be intimidated by the process it is not rocket science contrary to popular belief on this site but do Pay attention to what your doing.

Based upon your responses here is my general advice building upon all the other great advice in this thread:

1. Buy the book "Top Grade Ammo" by Glen Zediker. He covers a lot of reloading ground as well as tool selection. Take a reloading class if you can. However, always doubt anything somebody else tells you. Look for multiple data sources. Always ask yourself "how do I know this" and "how can I prove it"? Always be on the lookout for more data sources.
2. A Dillon 550C will make ammo that is just as good as any single stage but to do so will cost you at least triple what a good single stage (Forster CoAx) will. I started with a Forster but went to Dillon and won't go back. The extra speed was worth it to me.
3. Don't cheap out on measuring tools. Buy Mitotoyo or Starrett calipers. If your measurements aren't good your wasting time and money. Buy a chronograph, Magnetospeed or LabRadar.
4. Buy an automatic powder dispenser. My RCBS Chargemaster Lite is nearly as accurate as throwing by hand (usually within.1gr or less with a very rare .2gr). Get a reducing insert to dramatically reduce overthrows with stick powder.
5. Buy a good balance beam scale. Use it to make sure your powder thrower is working as expected. A second source of truth when dealing with powder is necessary.
6. Create a reloading work flow chart. The goal is to create a process that makes it as hard to screw up as possible. You are now playing with things that go boom, your reloading life needs to revolve around safety.
7. Always keep your goal in mind. You are building hunting ammo. You aren't trying to get every last ounce of speed out of your ammo, your one true God is consistency.
8. Black Friday is coming, make a shopping list and get ready.

Welcome to the reloading rabbit hole. I hope your stay is lifelong and wonderful.

Victoria. Lethal_Chica is a great username! Welcome to the fraternity! All of the advice on finding a mentor is valuable. You seem bright and energetic so if you are involved you'll be able to choose one. Choose wisely.

To this I will add a few "bullets". Reading through my comments I've repeated what has already been said. For that I apologize.
  • The most accurate ammunition I have loaded was on a 550 using Forster dies. Caliber changes cost a bit more but the value is there. You can even use it as a single stage if you need to to develop loads, for example. FaceBook has a page for Dillon stuff and sometimes you'll find deals there on compete setups and save yourself some coin.
  • I used RCBS for decades and it just works. I still own the original press I bought in 1968 and the identical press my dad used. If I were to buy a single stage press today I'd look real hard at the Frankfort Arsenal Coaxial press.
  • Read all the manuals you purchase. Not the load data but the information in the front! There is a bunch of valuable information there. My bookcase has 4 versions of most and some more than that. I own at least one nearly every manual published. It's amazing the information they've packed into them and at times I have a caliber only one manual covers. It should go without saying not to simply take posted loads and use them.
  • YouTube has Sinclair videos also. They begin at the beginning and go through the highest level of loading.
  • I stopped using the Forster trimmer after discovering LE Wilson products. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. As fast or faster and I think they are more consistent.
  • The flow chart is invaluable to ensure a consistent process.
Lastly - Use pressure tested data. People will at times encourage you to "go beyond" it. Many do. Some of those same folks have a relic or two consisting of a destroyed firearm or ruptures brass that resulted from that practice. I have both that I keep to remind me not to do it again. You CAN do things like going beyond book data but you absolutely MUST know what you are doing and why. Going where many fear to tread has destroyed many fine pieces, ruined hunting trips and cost precious body parts.

Double check everything. Don't visit with others while doing the work. Have only one type of powder on the bench at the time. After powdering look into each case with a flashlight to verify all appear to be the same level. Beware of loads where double charge is possible. As Yogi Berra said "you don't want to make the wrong mistake!" Enjoy the hobby!
One other note. When done reloading for the day put the powder back in the same can and DO NOT leave it in the measure, assuming you will use the same load next time. I speak from experience having to throw out the powder in the measure a couple of times.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.